Jump to content
Hangzhou Expat


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


hotwater last won the day on November 1 2017

hotwater had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

32 Excellent

About hotwater

  • Rank
    Senior member


  • Country/ Region

Recent Profile Visitors

3,838 profile views
  1. Haida education

    There an educotar!
  2. Getting a work permit

    No worries, I’m not easily offended. I also can’t type! “Active” speakers? :-)
  3. Getting a work permit

    “Actually...” makes you come across as an arrogant ass... http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/977923.shtml no, it’s not a government website but a government mouthpiece. I know of people who haven’t had their work permit renewed due to not being classed as active speakers. You asked what your chances are. I suggested it’s difficult (if not impossible). Why would you ask if you weren’t sure? go for it...good luck.
  4. Getting a work permit

    Problem now, as I mentioned, is that they’ve recently (last year or two) tightened up the system to the point where they say you can only teach English as a native speaker or if your degree is from a native speaking country (& I’m not even sure that is still allowed). So unfortunately even with all your experience you probably won’t get a work permit anymore.
  5. Getting a work permit

    Difficult! They’ve tightened up the rules in the last year and it’s extremely difficult (if not impossible) to get a work permit for teaching English as a non-native speaker (you didn’t say what you taught before so I’ve assumed!) you our might be better asking on a Shanghai forum as they’ll know the situation better.
  6. Registering a business

    You’ll need to register a WFOE (Wholly Owned Foreign Enterprise) unless you start a Joint Venture with a Chinese citizen. Seriously you should use a Chinese lawyer to do this. Cost will be in the region of 15-20,000 RMB setup costs plus initial investment (which doesn’t need to be paid in initially). Lawyers dealing with with these types of companies can also deal with your accounting & tax issues.
  7. Haha, “Biker chick” in British English is a chick who rides motorbikes! bicycles are EVERYWHERE! Can you rent one easily? Google “China bike share”, Mobike, Ofo, etc. though they are poor quality single gear city bikes. If if you want to rent a good bike then I’m sure there are places. Most scenic spots have bikes to rent if varying qualities up to good mountain bikes.
  8. You won’t be able to rent a motorbike legally. China doesn’t recognize non-Chinese driving licenses. You’ve also got the issue of Chinese drivers to deal with driving standards here are generally bad. For Vegan/Vegetarian restaurants I’d read the Happy Cow website can be helpful for finding listings.
  9. Business visa to china

    As Bluepasta suggests, a business visa won’t allow you to live anywhere in China without doing regular visa runs. Entries are generally limited to 30 or 60 days. Meaning you’ve got to leave China every 30 or 60 days to restart the clock. How are you going to manage that from Hangzhou?
  10. Soon-to-be newcomer asking for advice

    You could also try www.shenzhenstuff.com but the forums there now seem to be a shitfest of arguing cliques & trolls
  11. Family Emigration from South Africa

    @NewTeacherOnTheBlock I'd agree with Fionn that users here won't be able to advise much. Though I'd doubt your school could help. What sort of "construction" is he into? A general builder/tradesman is not going to get a work permit. China has millions working in construction. If he worked at a higher level then hi might have a chance but I've never come across anyone yet working in construction
  12. Send actual degree + authenticated degree?

    They don't need the original for the first part of the work permit authorisation. They only need it after you arrive in China. Scans are good enough for the first phase.
  13. Bloody profile spammers!

    We all know you're special...
  14. Come on mods! Breakfast time and spammers to ban! I've had 15+ spam comments on my profile this morning, others must have had the same. Bloody bots!
  15. http://gw-gaming.info/index.php?topic=682.new#new

    1. Cacadopike