Sign in to follow this  
Bramlow

Getting a suit made in Hangzhou

Question

Possible a silly question...

I'm going to be in Hangzhou for several weeks this summer, and the idea of occurred to me of getting a suit made up. In London, a good suit is going to be £400+, and I've heard the quality in China can be pretty good.

Some friends got good stuff up in Beijing, but are there quality places in Hangzhou? If the price is right I might get it tailored, depending on how long it takes the place to get it sorted. What's been everyone's experience of this?

13 answers to this question

From what I've heard, the fabric market in Hangzhou has closed down due to the metro construction.

I go to Shanghai to get my suits made at one of the markets there. 450RMB for a tailored suit and 100RMB for tailored dress shirts. Quality is great, and if you can't make it back to Shanghai, most shops with send it to Hangzhou free of charge. Hope that helps

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.

From what I've heard, the fabric market in Hangzhou has closed down due to the metro construction.

I go to Shanghai to get my suits made at one of the markets there. 450RMB for a tailored suit and 100RMB for tailored dress shirts. Quality is great, and if you can't make it back to Shanghai, most shops with send it to Hangzhou free of charge. Hope that helps

You serious? I knew they were cheap out there, but didn't know it was that cheap? That's about £45 for a tailored suit, right?

How long do you find it takes for a tailored suit to get made? I'm going to be in Hangzhou for about 4 weeks. I'd probably go and pick it up since I'll be going back to Shanghai after my time here.

Can't vouch for the price but the advice of going somewhere other foreigners go is definitely good advice. Tried a tailor in Hangzhou and the price was OK, but...

If ever the Big Show or some other 500lb guy comes to Hangzhou, I've got a suit he can have.

Binjiang Ben is right - Shanghai is the place to go for this. I've been 4 or 5 times and have had stuff sent to me. I've gotten dress shirts (both long and short sleeve), a trench coat, a sports jacket, a corduroy jacket, and even a pair of shorts made there. Have everything shipped to Hangzhou, and then if anything needs adjusting, just bring it back on your next trip. I actually haven't gotten a suit made there, because I wasn't sure about the quality. I ended up getting a suit made by an Indian man here in Hangzhou, but it was on the expensive side.

My advice is to steer clear of the 1st floor and go to the 2nd and 3rd floors. For shirts, go to #378 - should be 100 or 110 per shirt. #370 makes great trench coats. #228 is also great for shirts. And #385 makes good corduroy jackets.

Binjiang Ben is right - Shanghai is the place to go for this. I've been 4 or 5 times and have had stuff sent to me. I've gotten dress shirts (both long and short sleeve), a trench coat, a sports jacket, a corduroy jacket, and even a pair of shorts made there. Have everything shipped to Hangzhou, and then if anything needs adjusting, just bring it back on your next trip. I actually haven't gotten a suit made there, because I wasn't sure about the quality. I ended up getting a suit made by an Indian man here in Hangzhou, but it was on the expensive side.

My advice is to steer clear of the 1st floor and go to the 2nd and 3rd floors. For shirts, go to #378 - should be 100 or 110 per shirt. #370 makes great trench coats. #228 is also great for shirts. And #385 makes good corduroy jackets.

Looks like I'll be heading to Shanghai then. To be honest I'm a bit uncertain about the tailored suit plan now, but I've seen my friends off-the-pegs from Beijing and they're pretty sweet. My plan is to shop around, and possibly even buy two if they're cheap enough!

What are all these digits about? Are Shanghai department stores listed numerically?

I will be going to the market sometime again this month and will get the address of the tailor I use over there. 450 is the price I haggled down to because I used my Mandarin skills but I sent a friend to there and he got it for 500 without knowing a single word.

NY-Teacher, whered u get your shoes made, and how was the price/quality?

That post raised my interest for suits too !

Binjiang Ben can you go ahead and let all of us know the adress please ?

I heard there are a big market in "Shanghai Science and Technology Museum". Is that the one you're talking about ?

Big thanks

The lady I go to is named Flora (but there are tons of shops) at the Fabric market near Pudong. It's at the Nanpu bridge metro stop, about a block away from the metro entrance. On most maps of Shanghai that highlight key things in Shanghai, this fabric market is located on it.

a lot of girls from anchoring major in our school go to a tailor shop named 'Hong Ye'(red leaf) in HuangBei Market to have their suits made. Given that the girls are rich& the suits look good on camera, I think it worth trying.

Bramlow - the digits represent the booth/shop numbers. The fabric market consists of three floors, and all the different tailors are separated into different booths. They're all connected to each other, and their booth number is clearly labeled like a street address. You'll see.

Ben - I never got shoes made. Where'd you read that?

Ben - I never got shoes made. Where'd you read that?

I think I was having one of those days without my coffee and the word shorts looked like shoes to me smiley36.gif