Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RachelD

Expats Living in Huzhou

5 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I just moved to Huzhou (about an hour ouside of Hangzhou) just three weeks ago. We're both teaching English conversational courses at Huzhou Vocational and Technical College and plan to stay here for about ten months. We've already had a chance to visit Shanghai and Beijing because of the national holiday last week, and we really enjoyed it!

Before we moved here, we were really under the impression that we would be within closer traveling distance to cities like Shanghai and Hangzhou. Huzhou, comparatively, is a fairly small town with seemingly no other foreigners. We get many people staring and pointing at us wherever we go, and we are really starting to wonder if we're the only foreigners in Huzhou. We would love to connect with another outsider who is fluent in English, as the only comfortable conversations we've had these last few weeks (other than with each other) have taken place over Skype with friends from home.

Are there any expats living in Huzhou?

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.

Hello, I am Steven, and I live in HuZhou. I understand your feeling, you can communicate with me. I know some other foreign friends and I can be your guide in HuZhou. :clap: my skype ID is: zx-star, and QQ number is: 1909437001

Hello everyone, I have just joined as I am being interviewed soon for a Tefl teaher job in 

Huzhou! I am a woman and will be there on my own! I know it can be tricky with no foreigners

around as I felt like that a bit in Japan....Any pointers? And also if I am to sign any contract 

with the agency and school, anything I ought to be aware of, in terms and safety issues?

Thanks, Namarie. 

Also what is the cost of living there and what is a good salary for a teacher plus 

what benefits should i be looking at. Is it easy to move around? Are people helpful?

Too many questions I know, but coming on my own I have to gather some info from

people already living there and maybe make some contacts beforehand. Thank you 

all for any advice offered and info. Namarie

Hi Namarie...

A bit late, but maybe better than never.

Firstly, I presume you are fully aware that you will be paid significantly less than what the agent gets - yes? In all likelihood, the agent will get paid around 11-14K per month for you, while you'll only get about 7K. If you're happy with this arrangement, then remember that, and don't complain if you hear about how much the agent makes. (ps, if you do say something, then they'll tell you how much they paid in expenses like your visa, etc... that's complete crap!!! Your visa costs about 2K (max), and probably as low as only 500).

Are they paying for your accommodation? In Huzhou, it should only be around 1500/month for something you'd be willing to live in (1500 in downtown Hangzhou would be seriously skanky!)

Advice? Always remember that Hangzhou and Shanghai aren't too far away....

("what benefits should i be looking at" ...Friends? :grin::grin::grin::grin:)