Hangzhou Expat
Rake

Is there a Hangzhou business network for expats

Just wondering is there a business network for all the expats here in hangzhou ?

well, the answer is no. how about starting one?

after surfing this site for days, my conclusion is, most of the members are students attending Chinese immersion or undergraduate program in Hangzhou. Or they are teaching staff of various institutions.

I assume some of you are expat non-working spouses.  are there any working expats from the other industry?

Well, to kick start, I am an executive with an american firm on assignment in hangzhou, was previously based in guangzhou and shenzhen for 5 years, shanghai for 2 years.

how about starting one?

I will try to see if I can add special functions for help businessmen know each via the forum.

It is ok, China is the land of opportunity. maybe we all will find business partners and quit the current job in the future, so it can also benefit those are not already, but hoping to be.

• Upvote 1

It is ok, China is the land of opportunity. maybe we all will find business partners and quit the current job in the future, so it can also benefit those are not already, but hoping to be.

how about doing an emba at zheda this semester?

that will cost 400 grand and we are better off pooling our hard earned cash into a biz...hmm....

• Like 1

that said, how about starting a casual dining western rest?  there is a market here for one........a hint, take a look at ruby Tuesday's site for reference.......sure a hit.  but again, most expats in hz will complain that it is pricey.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It is dangerous if to take expats as main customers, it is a city with 5 million chinese people, and maybe only 15 thousands laowai living in every corner of the big city, xiaoshan ,xiasha, binjiang, and we usually prefer to eat nearby, so If you don't want to take too much risk of losing big money, locals should be your target customers, and you have to try your best to make the balance between locals and expats.

As for price,  the average spend should be below 80 yuan. if you want to sell it at a higher price, then maybe it is not because of the food quality, it is the decoration, the location and maybe marketing and they are $$$$.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Hi Guys,

Apologizing for the delay, but I think the argument is relevant: the opportunity of starting a biz network.

I think Pathfinder's Idea of starting a casual dinner is good.

Might not end up in anything, but at leats we get to know eachother.

To speed up things, I suggest to exchange wechat account or telephone number.

mine is 13968199479

Any place, any time...almost any price!

Francesco

Biz network or biz forum will be a great step.

If possible add some kind of basic assistance / legal advise for those new ones who wish to start some venture here.

I also thinking about it since some time.

I am quite interested ! I've joined some business/expats networking groups when I was in Vancouver, you could meet some interesting or like-minded people. So why not start one here? I'm up for it!

Ruby

I am keen to join up! Currently I am a partner in a boutique investment management fund. Our private fund is not open to the public access via invitation only, dynamic, safe and focus heavily on diversification. We have investments/yields in everything from lending/finance, real estate, developments, start up companies (mainly tech/web based), domestic/O.S. stocks/futures/forex (have our own trading floor) and more.      

Personally I have been involved in many businesses, small-big and based all over the globe. Some highly successful and others complete failures lol (learnt most in the failures and have much to share). My biggest achievement to date, is building a BRW TOP 100 company three years running (Australia's version of Fortune 500). 

Feel free to send me a PM 

• Upvote 1

Let's make it, I think anyone who is interested in building a friendly business network can make a post at this forum with the content like below

what kind of business you want to try ?

if you are looking for partners, what kind of resources/skills they are supposed to have ? and what  are you good at ?

you don't need to elaborate any details, it may help you find the right people.

We just had 2 sessions in last one month, everyone is working in our group from various industries, most of us are kiwi and aussie.

It would be good to have local people involved, like myself is a new zealand resident originally from Hangzhou.