IzzyEllie

Free figure drawing class/group

26 posts in this topic

This is just me sticking my feelers out there to see if anyone might be interested. 

Since leaving school and moving to China, I haven't made the effort to keep up with doing regular drawings. Tried the other day and they look super stiff, almost robotic. Was wondering if anyone else might be interested in forming/joining a drawing group, just for fun. It'd be awesome to get to work with other artists again.

It would be free (unless people want to pool for snacks), and everyone would bring their own materials. You could get all fancy with the charcoal and oil pastels and mungo paper, or just scratch away with a ball point pen in your notebook. Anything you want. 

Everyone would be welcome. Beginners to professionals. Everyone's an artist and you can only get better by drawing more and more. Also, this would be a great opportunity for the more inexperienced to get tips from the more seasoned artists (if they want them).post-16118-0-89080200-1394181902_thumb.jpost-16118-0-89080200-1394181902_thumb.j

We could take turns modeling (or not, if you're shy and want to pass) and to make this more accessible to more people, the model (for the class) would wear a swimsuit. I know, not classic figure drawing class, but I think there's still lots to be learned from drawing a swimsuit clothed figure.

We could start the class with quick 1 to 3 minute poses to get everyone loosened up and work on our flow and line work and then do a couple 5 minutes and then one long(ish) pose per class where we will have the opportunity to get more detailed.

Any takers? Anyone interested? :)

~Izzy~

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.

Hi there,

I like this idea, haven't done life drawing since university. I think urban sketching is another good idea being surrounded by the beauty of the place. Would be nice to meet you, be glad to come along! :-)

Martha

Hi Martha!

That's fantastic!! Looking forward to meeting/drawing with you!!

I've found about 5 other people that are interested. Looks like this might actually happen! Thinking that it would probably be on Monday nights, as that is a lot of our day off. Maybe starting the Monday after this upcoming one?

Also, I've messaged someone who put an add out offering to do life modeling, and if the price he posted is for reals than it's looking like we could have our own model for about three yuan a person for an hour. So ...YAY!

I like the idea of urban sketching too! It'd be awesome to meet during the week sometime too (sunrise?! for the pretty colors/shadows?!) outside at different locations!

Hi,

Monday evenings sound good! I'll be there. That sounds like an amazing deal haha great. Waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer and I'll be out with my sketchbook all the time! See you on the 17th let me know where and when..be nice to meet an arty group :-D

Hello!

So I found a model who's agreed to model for the class for 30 yuan for an hour. Which would make it only 5 yuan a person, if only 6 people come, though im expecting more. It'll be Mondays from 4 to 5, at my apartment, which is right across the street from Chen xi InTime, at the intersection of Ping shui jie and feng tan lu.

Yay!

I would like to join, please. I am a complete beginner but would love to be able to draw. Maybe I can be convinced to model too but I'm really not sure!

Izzy xx

Hey btpah! Hey other Izzy! Nice name!

Class is on again this Monday. YAY! Hope you guys can make it!

No worries btw, most of the class is beginners. We're all learning together.

We're going to meet at 3:30 this week so we can go over some handouts I have on proportions real quickly before the model arrives and we get started at 4:00. I'll pm you guys with exact details. :)

Oor not. It said I don't have permission to message you, Btpah. So here's what I would've sent:

Class will be this Monday at 3:30. For the first half hour, we're going to quickly go over some proportions handouts I have, let everyone get acquainted and settled into a spot, and take up the money for the model (so we don't have to scramble to get it while everyone's leaving after class). It will be maybe 3 or 4 yuan a person, depending on how many people come.
     We're going to be drawing from 4:00 to 5:00. We'll start with some quick sketches and then moving on to longer, more detailed drawings. I'm planning, in the near future, to designate specific classes to focusing on mastering certain things, such as the face, hands, and feet, but this Monday's class will just be everyone getting used to drawing the whole body, and practicing getting the right proportions.
     Bring some paper, a hard surface to draw on, pencils, charcoal, or whatever you want to draw with, with you. The class is very relaxed, so whatever you want to work with is cool.
     It's being held at my apartment, which is at the intersection of ping shui jie and feng tan lu. It's directly across the street from Chenxi In Time mall. I have the address in Chinese on my phone and can text it to you if you want.
     Shoot me a text. :) 15925626403.
~Izzy~

Aw man, saw this a little too late. Any chance you're going to have a repeat event at a later time? I have work in that area until around 6...

Hi dorah! Hi jw!

Drawing class is canceled this upcoming Monday (me and 4 other peoples have to go to a work thing), but it'll be up again the week after, on April 7th. Everyone's invited! From 330 to 5 (we unfortunately can't meet later since our model's not available then) at ping shui jie and fang tan lu intersection. Just shoot me a text before hand or just as you arrive, and I'll run down to let you in. Hope you all can make it! :)

Izzy

I am one of the peoples who went the week before last (but i was sick this past week). Everyone should come not this monday but the one after so I can meet more people :p

Hi dorah! Hi jw!

Drawing class is canceled this upcoming Monday (me and 4 other peoples have to go to a work thing), but it'll be up again the week after, on April 7th. Everyone's invited! From 330 to 5 (we unfortunately can't meet later since our model's not available then) at ping shui jie and fang tan lu intersection. Just shoot me a text before hand or just as you arrive, and I'll run down to let you in. Hope you all can make it! :)

Izzy

That's too bad... I'll keep my eye out in case there's a weekend date or something!

I have at least two people interested in getting a session like this started again if anyone is interested. We are looking to pay a model for a few hours per week. Let me know if you are interested or know if this is still going on. 

Better late than never-- I took a semester of art** in college recently and fell in love with drawing via pencil and pad... 

That being said... anyone interested in restarting what Izzy started a couple years ago?  I think it's a beautiful way to capture the essence of life, and experience the gratification of art first hand.

@drown -- saw you recently posted on my motorcycle advice thread-- you down to make this happen?

**This was my self-portrait final project we had to do... took a selfie with the iPhone and drew it with graphite on an 18"x18" pad. 

Would love to do art in a group setting.  Awesome idea Izzy had..

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 12.09.43 PM.png

Hi! If anyone is still interested in the urban group sketching idea, let me know. I'll be in Hangzhou from mid-September onwards. It would be great to arrange a meetup then! 

Hazy,  drown-- let's do it.  Let's get together sometime soon with some pencils and paper, exchange sketching tips, and build a little art community!

Sounds great! I've just set up a page on meetup.com for anyone interested in art in HZ. Feel free to share! If it's cool with you guys, we could post the sketching event there and see if it generates interest from other artists/art lovers in the Hangzhou area. Anyway, I'll send you a pm with my WeChat and we can try to arrange a day and time to meet soon! :) 

10 hours ago, Hazydayz said:

Sounds great! I've just set up a page on meetup.com for anyone interested in art in HZ. Feel free to share! If it's cool with you guys, we could post the sketching event there and see if it generates interest from other artists/art lovers in the Hangzhou area. Anyway, I'll send you a pm with my WeChat and we can try to arrange a day and time to meet soon! :) 

Hi, I am new in Hangzhou, and I am interested in art and music but have yet to really develop my creative abilities - I was more into looking and taking in, but I think now that I am here I would like to work on that more. Count me in!

I am also interested in going to concerts and exhibitions, so if anyone has any tips let me know! I just got here a day ago so I really have no idea what is going on, so I am open to pretty much everything at this point.