Hangzhou Expat
Sign in to follow this  
Jelle

Huangshan on a national holiday

Hi everybody

I am thinking of going to Huangshan on 1 May - 3/4 May since I've got a few days off work. Does anybody have any experience with climbing the mountain during a national holiday? I do have time, so I can do the whole thing on foot without having to use the cablelift. This way I should be able to avoid masses of Chinese people at least during the first few hours and the descent the next morning ^^ I can also avoid peak-hours this way. 

I went to Huashan (near Xi'an) in 2010 and there I did pretty much the same thing. Only had to wait on the highest tops, which is probably unavoidable...

Anywayz, thx for the replies :)

Grtz 

Jelle

Huangshan is a gorgeous place! But id strictly avoid it on national holidays. There is a large roundway on top of the mountain (at least where we went to) and its the only way. You have to follow the path and have to wait in queues at some points (which made us wait several hours). Sometimes we didnt even know what we were waiting for.

Hmmm I see... What if I were to go up one afternoon to a hotel near the top, reaching it in the evening when the masses are gone, thus avoinding them. The next day I'd get up early enough to do the peaks before the buses arrive and start heading down. That way I could go all the way down again avoiding the Chinese hordes. I heard that once you are past the cablelift points it is pretty much clear passing.

If not worth it, I might have to find another place in China to spend 5 days at ^^

Thx

Huangshan has more tourists than HuaShan. I have hiked it three times already and been there during the holidays and its all the same, very crowded. But one thing that I could assure is the extraordinary beauty that you will experience. You can get up really early to beat the crowd but it will be crowded still.

The weather up there is very unpredictable. It would still be cold so If you decide to go, bring some warm clothing withyou and some rain gear. I was there last year, early in June and while it was 32C in Hangzhou, it was around 12 C on top of the mountain. I suggest you stay at the Cloud Dispelling Hotel in the West Sea. It would be wise to book your accomodation now because eveything up there is too expensive. The hostels in Tangkou offer booking reservation for the hotels on top of the mountain way cheaper than booking it online. There are two ways to get to the mountain.

The easier hiking trail is in the eastern side (roughly 7 kilometers) and the more challenging one is the western side ( almost double the lenght of the eastern side). I havent hiked the western side yet but a lot of people hike up from the east and get down on the western side.

You should know too that when it rains up there, everything is completely covered with fog and its impossible to see anything at all. It would be better to check the weather before going up and if theres even a chance of rain, you may want to consider going for another place because you will spend your energy climbing and not getting any worth out of it.

• Upvote 2

thx for the reply :)

I decided not to go during the holiday and spend my 4-5 days going somewhere else. However, I will definitly go to Huangshan 3 days during some weekend in the beginning of june. I guess crowded is what you get in China ^^

Grtz

Jelle

thx for the reply :)

I guess crowded is what you get in China

Unfortunately, this is the reality. I have been travelling during the holidays for the past three years now and it is not my preferrence to do so. Those are the only available times I have due to my workload in our school and I have managed to adjust so far. HuangShan is an amazing place I'm sure you'll love it there.

If you're an avid hiker, Yunnan and Qinghai province are two of the places you should check out.

Yeah did tiger leaping gorge a few weeks back. Was thinking about Qinghai, but appearently it's not that easy getting around there. Since i don't speak Chinese and only have a few days, I decided to go to Shanxi to visit the Yungang grottoes, Hanging monastary, Muta Pagoda and Pingyao... Some culture never harmed a soul ^^

Huangshan is on the shortlist for May or the beginning of June tho! Man, running out of time :s