Hangzhou Expat
Marica

How long does it take the work permit process?

Question

Hi there, 

I'm going to explain my situation about the Work permit process as I think it is unusual (or not?)

I have been waiting my work permit for one month already, I mean, one month has passed since the company which is going to hire me began the application process. Now the process is at the second phase, after this there will be a third final phase taking additional 15-20 business days. So, the whole process is taking AT LEAST 50 days (considering the second phase is not yet concluded)

Does anybody know how long does it take to get the work permit? Is it usual to wait such a long time?

I kindly ask to anybody who may have information or advise for me to reply this topic, even to share self experience (different or similar to mine)

Thanks to everybody

Marica

3 answers to this question

Usually it takes more time for the first time applicants.

But once they accept the application you can expect to get things completed in about 45 to 60 days depending on the location of your company and how active your company is in getting your work permit (and Residence Permit) made.

For renewal it usually take about 30 to 35 days.

For myself (and most of us) it is a three step process, getting the medical done (and oddly, this place does a very good job), go to Foreign Expert Bureau and then the Police.

My medical was on May 9th and I got my new RP June 26. What's that, 6 weeks? The year before, it took less than three weeks.

Early this year, I was put on to a job at a place I'd worked (with visa) before. But things had changed.

Even though I'd worked there before, it took ages...

I started working just after Spring Festival - so Feb (whatever date) was apparently when the process began - although, TBH, that included them asking me for stuff they already had (but someone had left, and you know how in Chinese businesses, if one person leaves, then everything falls apart - like, only 1 person is allowed to touch a stamp, etc etc). So that was a week or 2 - while other things were happening.

The Criminal History check - on the Australian side - the police had it in the mail to me within about 24 hours of my online application (which took about a week, given I didn't have access to a scanner :( ). Then to get it authenticated took about another week, but only because it was all done through the mail and not at the office (which would have reduced it to about 24 hours).

There was about 3 weeks of arguing back and forth as to whether I could get the Chinese consulate in my home city to stamp it, or it HAD to be the one and only embassy in the country (which is about 2000km's away from there). Consulate was fine! But lots of mis-information about it.

I didn't leave here to go home for the visa until May...

I'll also add - new HR person who didn't know what she was doing...

So, yeah, 60 days wouldn't surprise me!