Hangzhou Expat
Iain Mackenzie

New song for Hangzhou : 'Hangzhou City Streets'

Hi

Here is my new song for Hangzhou;

(Listen with headphones for best results :-)

enjoy

go to:  https://iainmackenzie.bandcamp.com/track/hangzhou-city-streets

Hangzhou City streets

He sat back and watched the rain wash down the windows of the train
On the Hangzhou City Line
And from the corner of his eye he could swear
He saw the lights of London pass him by

Hey hey....its another day
Hey hey, its another day

Looking back to where he once believed his name and face were sacred- but how could they be?
Now the home he gave his heart to was as distant as the echoes of his morning dream

Hey hey, its another day

He layed back and let the fingers of his lover play another song 
upon his skin
it was days like these he couldnt say just where his world ends
and life begins

Hey hey, its another day

He sat down and all around him were the voices and sounds of 
Hangzhou City Streets
And all he needed from his mind was the time to find
the spaces in between

Hey hey, its another day

Sitting back and watching rain wash down the windows of the train
on the hangzhou city line
and from the corner of his eye he swore he saw the lights of London
passing by

bye bye

bye bye

bye bye
  • Upvote 2

Nice track.  A few more references to HZ streets or landmarks or something that distinguishes it as a more local song would be awesome.

I love the song over all and the way the melody flows, but it seems like it you could swap the word "Hangzhou" for any other city in the world and it would work.

Need some more references to make it truly unique. I don't mean to sound offensive, because i really like the song... but have you ever played it and replaced "Hangzhou" with another city?  Seems this way to me. It could be called "Manchester city streets" or "Melbourne city streets" if you decided to moved cities. 

Nice track.  A few more references to HZ streets or landmarks or something that distinguishes it as a more local song would be awesome.

I love the song over all and the way the melody flows, but it seems like it you could swap the word "Hangzhou" for any other city in the world and it would work.

Need some more references to make it truly unique. I don't mean to sound offensive, because i really like the song... but have you ever played it and replaced "Hangzhou" with another city?  Seems this way to me. It could be called "Manchester city streets" or "Melbourne city streets" if you decided to moved cities. 

That is a really good point. Thanks for the feedback.

Actually there is a great song called 'streets of London' (By Ralph McTell I believe) and I tried the same with that and it works just fine. 

I will try it with this song and see what happens. But, to be honest if I play it with feeling, then I am thinking about train and walking in HZ only. 

Your feedback is detailed and very helpful....do you write music too?? any examples??

Thanks again

iain

That is a really good point. Thanks for the feedback.

Actually there is a great song called 'streets of London' (By Ralph McTell I believe) and I tried the same with that and it works just fine. 

I will try it with this song and see what happens. But, to be honest if I play it with feeling, then I am thinking about train and walking in HZ only. 

Your feedback is detailed and very helpful....do you write music too?? any examples??

Thanks again

iain

I play guitar at home (occasionally), I played in a band back in Australia when i was younger. Unfortunately it's something that has almost disappeared from my life. I always had a guitar when i was travelling around Europe in my mid twenties but since moving to Asia it's just faded.  I have guitar sitting in my living room on a stand but i guess i pick it up once a month if lucky. It's something i'd like to get back in to one day. For me it's more of a personal past time/time out activity but I'm sure it will resurface at some stage. I have a terrible voice, so I'm not a performer and will never be, yet I enjoy the odd strum of the guitar. Again, I'm in no position to be critical and overall i think the song was great.... it would just strike more of a chord with me (pardon the pun) had it contained more specific references to HZ.  Keep it up. Cheers. 

I play guitar at home (occasionally), I played in a band back in Australia when i was younger. Unfortunately it's something that has almost disappeared from my life. I always had a guitar when i was travelling around Europe in my mid twenties but since moving to Asia it's just faded.  I have guitar sitting in my living room on a stand but i guess i pick it up once a month if lucky. It's something i'd like to get back in to one day. For me it's more of a personal past time/time out activity but I'm sure it will resurface at some stage. I have a terrible voice, so I'm not a performer and will never be, yet I enjoy the odd strum of the guitar. Again, I'm in no position to be critical and overall i think the song was great.... it would just strike more of a chord with me (pardon the pun) had it contained more specific references to HZ.  Keep it up. Cheers. 

For sure, the best place for a guitar that you want to play more often is the same room where you spend most of your time. On a stand sounds perfect; but make sure it is within easy reach as you are sitting watching TV..... :-)

Its a great way to relax and, to be honest I started writing songs about 30 years ago as a way to encourage myself to practice guitar.  As you say, its a great way to unwind.  (You don't need to be a good singer to enjoy singing to yourself..:-)

I am going to  audition for a music competition at  'Ningbo news' TV this  Saturday.... Playing a song I wrote here quite recently. ....wish me luck and if they make a movie (haha) I will post it on here... :-)

all the best and thanks again

iain 

All the best with the show. Keep us posted and come out in HZ some time and play for us live. A HZ live-acoustic get together would be a worthwhile event. 

I may be coming to HZ over the holidays

Wondering where a good place to play would be

down town-ish

(then go for curry :-) )