Hangzhou Expat
Sign in to follow this  
Dahweh

Is there somewhere that won't suck over national week?

everywhere will suck

actually, beijing is probably the best bet, but you've probably been already... Beijing can handle the crowds, usually has clean air over the holiday, cool flag raising ceremony on 10/1, etc. 

Over the holiday last year, my husband and I went to a few places nearby, one I would definitely NOT recommend during the holiday (Sanqingshan) and two were actually pleasant experiences. If you like small villages, I would recommend a night or two in Guodong in Wuyi county and also the villages in Wuyuan county. In Wuyuan, if you stay away from the main villages, the smaller and less popular ones were fine. We actually wrote a couple blogs about our trip,

http://imissmyvacuum.wordpress.com/2013/10/19/relaxing-in-guodong-ancient-ecological-village/

Was wondering about this myself. I was thinking about going to Xiamen but all tickets are sold out. So now I'm thinking to go there in two steps: first HZ to someplace in between, and then from that place to Xiamen. Does anyone have any recommendations of villages/towns to check out in between HZ and Xiamen? I read about these two islands in front of Fuzhou but there's no info available whatsoever in terms of accommodation or how to get there... 

One of those islands near fuzhou is probably Meizhou Island? I have been there, but I took the bus from Putian and then a boat. There is a big daoist temple on the island. It has hotels. It will suck over October holiday for sure.