Hangzhou Expat
hangzhouliving

Online Ordering

i just got to HZ. I'm living in Oakwood. I am concerned about food quality.. Maybe more than I should be but is there a place online that will deliver?  At least online I know where the food is coming from (hopefully if true). In the stores I am worried I will have no idea what I'm buying. I'm trying to be open minded but at the same time be safe. 

Any suggestions please? 

www.taobao.com would fit you, be aware on what you buy... I recommend to buy only sealed goods... 

I guess someone scared you about china, it is not absolutelly necessary to eat bugs or some similar stuffs... I'm sure if you want, you will survive!

You'll live.

You're gonna be ill for about 2 weeks, but you're at Oakwood and it doesn't get any better than that here, so just rest up.

All the places at the EAC are basically legit, Ajinsen is nice, easy to order etc.

And here's a helpful tip; to reduce the frequency of laduzi, stay away from street food, forever.

You'll live.

You're gonna be ill for about 2 weeks, but you're at Oakwood and it doesn't get any better than that here, so just rest up.

All the places at the EAC are basically legit, Ajinsen is nice, easy to order etc.

And here's a helpful tip; to reduce the frequency of laduzi, stay away from street food, forever.

well I was not so concerned but reading so much online I think I am scaring myself. 

Where is nearest grocery store near Oakwood? Had Starbucks coffee and muffin today. My stomach does not feel good. 

Probably the Walmart at the Dragon, just walk down the main road towards the hill.

The Dragon is a football stadium on your right. The supermarket is inside.

No guns on sale.

well I was not so concerned but reading so much online I think I am scaring myself. 

Yep!

Most restaurants you go to will be fine! Street food can be hit and miss... personally, I don't think I've had problems in my 6 years in China.  (NEVER order the 'Chinese' steak!!! Usually priced around 70RMB... you will regret it!!! Same really for any 'western'-style cuts of meat (eg, lamb cuts). Traditional Chinese foods of that price are fine - just not the 'western-style'.

Also note - they put corn into everything... pizzas, carbonara, possibly ice-cream... same with capsicum (ie, 'peppers'). Everywhere! Also, tomatoes on cakes! Oh, and mayonnaise...weird!

Where is nearest grocery store near Oakwood? Had Starbucks coffee and muffin today. My stomach does not feel good. 

There's an import place in the same centre - 2nd floor. A bit expensive. But honestly, no worse than most other standard Chinese supermarkets (LianHua) - especially now that many of these local supermarkets are getting in more imported foods (slowly...surely....).

However, if I was in your situation, I'd go to the HuangLong bus station, and grab the 303 to In-Time City up north, and go shopping at BLT - bigger range of foods (still a bit expensive) - but better than most others I've been to.

There's an import place in the same centre - 2nd floor. A bit expensive. But honestly, no worse than most other standard Chinese supermarkets (LianHua) - especially now that many of these local supermarkets are getting in more imported foods (slowly...surely....).

Ja-e has gone :crying:

When did that happen?

I wasn't a fan of that place... rarely had anything worth going in for.

The store downsized ages ago to half the size, then finally shut up shop about a month ago (ish). I was sad, always had good snacks.

who is Ja-e ? :smile:

I'm shocked you don't know Jake!

There were a few of them around, like import supermarkets, but with a big wine selection. 2 of the ones I knew have shut down, not sure how many are left.

• Upvote 1

The store downsized ages ago to half the size, then finally shut up shop about a month ago (ish). I was sad, always had good snacks.

Yeah, I noticed the downsize... so not surprised.

My first order of business of any import shop is their range of cheese... and Ja-e was crap! I rarely left there with more than about 4 items, and more rarely were they the things I went in looking for :(

I've been out here for about 4 months. I've eaten in a bunch of restaurants and street food carts. Haven't gotten sick yet. i wouldn't worry about too much if i were you. And if you do get sick just think of it as building up your tolerance haha