Hangzhou Expat
Sign in to follow this  
hangzhouliving

American Guys

lol you sound pissed. It was just a question. 

Why pissed?  There are millions of bhl like you in hangzhou,  one more should be no problem. 

Don't forget to feel superior mkay? 

He tends to sound pissy... but on the other hand, Nym, you came off as a pretty arrogant, man.  There are plenty negative stereotypes we Americans carry with us here as well.  (fat, lazy, trigger-happy, undisciplined, cocky - like the way you phrased your "question")  Maybe you didn't mean any harm, but I'd say you might take a more neutral approach, rather flouting nationality, or assuming it entitles you anything.  'My two cents.  

And I think Christopher was referring to RMB's (salary, home, car), which is also a generalization, prevalent nonetheless.

Edited by Jebowski

He tends to sound pissy... but on the other hand, Nym, you came off as a pretty arrogant, man.  There are plenty negative stereotypes we Americans carry with us here as well.  (fat, lazy, trigger-happy, undisciplined, cocky - like the way you phrased your "question")  Maybe you didn't mean any harm, but I'd say you might take a more neutral approach, rather flouting nationality, or assuming it entitles you anything.  'My two cents.  

And I think Christopher was referring to RMB's (salary, home, car), which is also a generalization, prevalent nonetheless.

I am actually one of the least cocky people you will meet. True there are stereotypes.. I was just asking about 1 of them that I heard was generally true. Maybe I phrased it in a way that made me sound superior... It's just what I heard. Since I've been here for 2 days I get looks all the time as I stick out. Maybe in a good way, maybe in a bad way. I am generally finding that people are more interested in me because I am American. Bottom line is everyone stereotypes to some degree. I wouldn't get mad at locals looking at me different I just accept it for what it is. My question was more based on how Chinese women perceive American men. Didn't know I had to be politically correct in asking a question on an informal message board... Pretty ridiculous. 

Don't worry about being PC on this message board...it's some hateful @$$, trolling, bickering type people on this site.

So much so, you ask a basic question and you get a philosophy lesson about everything BUT the question you asked, lol

And I would say to answer your question - For a new arrival, you will get and feel eyes on you initially. Seeing as in America most people don't gawk and stare at you but overtime, I think it loses its appeal. It's cool kinda being VIP-esque most places you go but it gets kinda played out after awhile especially when you don't want the attention,

Also, for some local women looking to score big in the Marriage game, having an American husband would definitely put you in the trophy category especially if you fit the Asian perception of American Beauty (White Skin, Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes).

That's like instant jackpot, lol

I am actually one of the least cocky people you will meet. True there are stereotypes.. I was just asking about 1 of them that I heard was generally true. Maybe I phrased it in a way that made me sound superior... It's just what I heard. Since I've been here for 2 days I get looks all the time as I stick out. Maybe in a good way, maybe in a bad way. I am generally finding that people are more interested in me because I am American. Bottom line is everyone stereotypes to some degree. I wouldn't get mad at locals looking at me different I just accept it for what it is. My question was more based on how Chinese women perceive American men. Didn't know I had to be politically correct in asking a question on an informal message board... Pretty ridiculous. 

So, here is the problem Bro. You keep saying over and over again "American", as though it's somehow superior. THAT is why you were called out as being potentially arrogant. 

The issues about which you speak have nothing to do with "American". It is only to do with being an obvious "white I assume" foreigner. In Fact, despite Chinese parents thinking learning "American" English (despite all the wrong spelling of many words and poor pronunciation :wink: ) will get their kids better opportunities to enter a Foreign Uni, America is just another Foreign Country, with a difference, ie, too many guns. 

Enjoy your time in HZ.  

Just another murrican thinking he is the man in China because women look at them..  News flash, they do that to everyone and I'm sure as hell no bloody yank. 

And I would say to answer your question - For a new arrival, you will get and feel eyes on you initially. Seeing as in America most people don't gawk and stare at you but overtime, I think it loses its appeal. It's cool kinda being VIP-esque most places you go but it gets kinda played out after awhile especially when you don't want the attention,

Also, for some local women looking to score big in the Marriage game, having an American husband would definitely put you in the trophy category especially if you fit the Asian perception of American Beauty (White Skin, Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes).

That's like instant jackpot, lol

Maybe 10 years ago.  Your paragraph is quite out of date but hey thanks for the good read. 

Don't worry about being PC on this message board...it's some hateful @$$, trolling, bickering type people on this site.

So much so, you ask a basic question and you get a philosophy lesson about everything BUT the question you asked, lol

Lmao