Hangzhou Expat

Question

Okay so I was one of the unlucky "stupid too" ones that landed up with unethical agents called Maggie & Leo and Hangzhou Yuhang Little Doctor Art Kindergarten here in Linping. For 4 months I had endless problems with the Agents and the school owner Mrs Li. They played me like a yoyo regarding my working hours, wages, overtime, extra lesson for extra pay etc. Turns out they are best friends so no one really had any intention of assisting me and finding a solution. I have so much evidence of all their little games they played, ducking and diving and lie after lie for 4 months. Long story short I finally had enough after they breached the contract / working conditions over and over and owing me thousands they had the audacity to still try renegotiate a new contract with the conditions that I work more hours for less money. They used words like we know you love the children here so if you want to continue working here you MUST.........I refused. Then they brought in another foreigner teacher (same agent) to try intimidate me into accepting their new deal. Naturally, I refused and so I resigned handing them a 3 page letter listing all the employment conditions breached AND I was nice to give them 1 month notice. Well then the threats, intimidation etc. got even worse and the day after I resigned the "agent" Maggie fired me via text message. So here I am they threated to hurt me, cancel my visa, force me to leave China, and that the landlord will come take back my apartment bla bla bla.  I'm still here and they still playing hide and seek. All I need is my money and a release letter and I'll be on my merry way but it seems in China it doesn't work this way. If anyone reading this has any advise or ideas what to do next please let me know. I'm quite happy to stay and play.        

Slide9.JPG

Slide10.JPG

Slide8.JPG

Slide18.JPG

Slide19.JPG

Slide20.JPG

Slide11.JPG

Slide12.JPG

Slide5.JPG

Slide6.JPG

Slide7.JPG

Slide13.JPG

Slide14.JPG

Slide15.JPG

Slide16.JPG

Slide17.JPG

Slide1.JPG

Edited by Durban Girl
Uploaded files

18 answers to this question

Holy Crap.. that's a LONG post!! Even longer than MINE!!!

I haven't read all yet, only got up to the first couple of sms. (edit - finished now!)

BUT... firstly, chill!

The PSB can't even scratch their arse on 1 week's notice, let alone do a 'visa cancellation'. Which doesn't matter anyway, because after a visa cancellation, you should be given a 1-month tourist visa to hang out and find a new job. As an extreme worst case scenario, fly down to HK and get yourself a 3 month tourist visa - that gives you the time to sort your stuff out.

Secondly - tell them that you can't accept a firing over a text message - it needs to be on paper with the official stamp - otherwise, it's not actually legal, and you're still technically working for them until you receive it (tell them that's part of the Chinese labour laws, and then make up some Part X, Section III type stuff  - that'll fk them for a bit :p - of course, you could try Baiduing that :D)

Thirdly - landlord.. did you rent the place and have a contract? Or did they arrange the accommodation for you? If you haven't changed the locks, get your stuff out anyway - they may choose to do things - like just coming in anytime they want. You're probably better moving to a friend's place for the short term.

Fourthly - you WILL be ringing the numbers on this thread (IIRC, the last one was the best...http://www.hangzhouexpat.com/index.php?/topic/28314-safea-in-hz/#comment-198362.

Fifthly - are you on a real Z visa/Working/Resident's permit?

Sixthly - kindy teachers are in demand - you'll be fine if you want to hang around and get a new job here. Not all places are like that. And if not kindy, you can always move into the exciting world of university teaching!! :p Or primary school. or middle school.... There's lots of jobs going if you want to hang around!

Tell them you're also negotiating to have Part VIII Section 1 - enacted, and that they owe you an additional 10,000RMB on top of other pay they owe you. (this you should mention when you talk to the people from the thread above).

Seventhly - you might want to remember that those SMSs she sent have acknowledged both the fact that they haven't paid you, AND that they acknowledge that they actually OWE YOU - legally, this can be used as evidence :)

Eighthly - why does my spell check not like my numbering after fifthly?????

I hope it helps, and remember to relax!!! :)

It sucks to start out 2016 dealing with idiots from this agency. You might want to consider looking at the websites below.

Good luck:)

http://www.chinaforeignteachersunion.com/

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/

http://www.globalblacklist.org/

BigMac - do you have any personal affiliation with them? or only what you've seen on the net?

BigMac - do you have any personal affiliation with them? or only what you've seen on the net?

No. I don't have any personal affiliation with any of these websites. I found them on Yahoo after reading this post.

Thanks all for the feedback. I truly appreciate all advice and help. Let me answer some questions. I did send numerous requests to the school telling them that I cannot accept being fired via text message. They ignored me but I think I will go back to local police again and get them to stamp an official letter ? The last time I went to the local police station here in Linping they actually called the school to come there but the owner of Little Doctor Kindergarten was nowhere to be seen and sent two teachers instead (innocent souls) they told police the school will pay me. Well that didn't happen. I went to the Visa office in Hangzhou too and the Visa investigation man called the agent Maggie, of course she tried to throw curve balls and make me look like the problem. She was instructed to talk pay me compensation to which she agreed but sent text threats instead.  

The apartment I am in is not on my name. It was arranged by the agents "Leo or Maggie" But I'm not leaving this apartment UNTIL I am paid. If the landlord comes as the agent's text stated to take back the apartment, well then I'll take that landlord by the hand to the police station so they can explain the situation to her.These scumbag agents and school bargain on us foreigner just giving up and leaving and I will NOT do that. They can come with their military buddies and "F" me up and force me to leave China and all else they want to threaten me with I don't care I'll stay right here until I'm paid. I feel sorry for the new South African guy they have employed in my place, poor soul has no idea what will happen to him when he starts asking questions.

The Visa police told me they can't cancel my Z visa and or residence permit without me being present however this is China so anything is possible. Good thing is that I have created awareness of my situation. I will follow all recommendations on this thread. Thank you for caring.

I feel sorry for the new South African guy they have employed in my place, poor soul has no idea what will happen to him when he starts asking questions.

Why on earth haven't you told him!?  (edit: Maybe you don't have his contact, info...)

Otherwise, good for you for contacting the police and the Entry/Exit Bureau, etc.  Just continue getting evidence, and get documents stamped, too.  I would move some of more your more valuable belongings to somewhere else though, rather than coming home to a ransacked apartment.

Best of luck, don't give up!

No. I don't have any personal affiliation with any of these websites. I found them on Yahoo after reading this post.

Yeah, that explains it... it seems to be a scam of some sort. though I can't truly say for sure. The people who went looking into it haven't been able to find any 'real' people who are part of the group... it's all online presences - leading back to one extremely shady character!!!

So, I was actually hoping you were a part of it, to interro... talk to you :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for the feedback. I truly appreciate all advice and help. Let me answer some questions. I did send numerous requests to the school telling them that I cannot accept being fired via text message. They ignored me but I think I will go back to local police again and get them to stamp an official letter ? The last time I went to the local police station here in Linping they actually called the school to come there but the owner of Little Doctor Kindergarten was nowhere to be seen and sent two teachers instead (innocent souls) they told police the school will pay me. Well that didn't happen. I went to the Visa office in Hangzhou too and the Visa investigation man called the agent Maggie, of course she tried to throw curve balls and make me look like the problem. She was instructed to talk pay me compensation to which she agreed but sent text threats instead.  

The apartment I am in is not on my name. It was arranged by the agents "Leo or Maggie" But I'm not leaving this apartment UNTIL I am paid. If the landlord comes as the agent's text stated to take back the apartment, well then I'll take that landlord by the hand to the police station so they can explain the situation to her.These scumbag agents and school bargain on us foreigner just giving up and leaving and I will NOT do that. They can come with their military buddies and "F" me up and force me to leave China and all else they want to threaten me with I don't care I'll stay right here until I'm paid. I feel sorry for the new South African guy they have employed in my place, poor soul has no idea what will happen to him when he starts asking questions.

The Visa police told me they can't cancel my Z visa and or residence permit without me being present however this is China so anything is possible. Good thing is that I have created awareness of my situation. I will follow all recommendations on this thread. Thank you for caring.

Good luck!

And Keep up the good fight!!!

(I,too, fight on principle!!! I get labelled a 'trouble-maker'... which I'm sort of proud of. Although, the truth is, I'm the 'trouble-fixer who meets with opposition'!)

So, please keep those of us interested informed!

(I think - HZ needs to have a VERY foreigner-friendly lawyer on hand that won't charge an arm and a leg - dual/multilingual, and will write up cheap lawyer letters to these schools, quoting the law, and telling them they're ready to take them to court!)

Oh I found another interesting one where Maggie "The agents" lets me know that the school will pay me the interest classes. Pity I never saw any of the RMB2500 owed to date. 

Anyway, I had a very productive day. I wrote a letter to the Minister of Education, copied so many relevant departments including the Police. I then took a copy of that letter to the local Linping Police who are now quite familiar with who I am and my problems. They were as usual so kind and made a couple of phone calls and before I knew it they were driving me with a police translator to the labour department. It was a little uneasy because the entire labour department staff and "visitors" came closer to hear my complaints but I just put on my thick skin and told my story again. They asked me what I want from the school and agent. I asked for my final salary, over time (outstanding since September) RMB2500 for the Interest classes (4 months unpaid). They worked it out to about RMB14000. And so now the Labour department will go to school in the morning and listen to the Kindergarten story and then suggest that the Kindergarten, agent and myself get together and negotiate. Well one step closer so I will wait and see where that avenue leads. To everyone who have sent me private messages of support and or have had similar experiences with same or different agents and school, thank you for sharing. It is good to know that there is support and that we are not alone in this foreign country.    

Maggie Interest class.png

Most of those "Blacklist / Report" websites seems fishy to me too now because I submitted and or asked questions and NOTHING, no response. 

China, got to love this place there is a trick or nasty treat to everything LOL  

Most of those "Blacklist / Report" websites seems fishy to me too now because I submitted and or asked questions and NOTHING, no response. 

China, got to love this place there is a trick or nasty treat to everything LOL  

He meant you resemble our closest and dearest friend John "the resistance"  conner  with your posts. 

He meant you resemble our closest and dearest friend John "the resistance"  conner  with your posts. 

Nar, I was talking about the "Little Docotor Kindergarten" account that has since deleted what they posted.

Durban Girl has put in far more effort than JC ever would. I rate her: legit!