Hangzhou Expat

Hey guys,

I am here, in Hnagzhou, on a project with Huawei but back home at India I used to run a standup comedy centric blog called http://standupcentral.in

I know that Shanghai has a pretty active standup comedy scene and many of the comics I know from India and other places have performed at a few clubs and comedy clubs.

Is there any english language standup comedy happening around hangzhou? 

Any openmics or any kind of platform where people try out their comedy skills?

Would be great to catch up.

Cheers,

Anvith.

Keep me/us updated about any places where they would be holding stand up comedy nights.

I used to go to a lot of them, and am definitely interested if there are some like these!

On 8/2/2016 at 10:05 PM, Anvith KS said:

Hey guys,

I am here, in Hnagzhou, on a project with Huawei but back home at India I used to run a standup comedy centric blog called http://standupcentral.in

I know that Shanghai has a pretty active standup comedy scene and many of the comics I know from India and other places have performed at a few clubs and comedy clubs.

Is there any english language standup comedy happening around hangzhou? 

Any openmics or any kind of platform where people try out their comedy skills?

Would be great to catch up.

Cheers,

Anvith.

I've seen adverts for a few comedy shows in Binjiang area but they are scarce.

I'm also quite interested in trying to find a place to perform some material and also looking for an experienced amateur comedy to chat with and spitball ideas, sets and routines with.

Basically, I dont know much about the Hangzhou comedy scene but if you did find of anything, please share. I haven't been actively searching myself but I'll keep my ear to ground now and let you know

Every once in awhile they get a posting in the More Magazine or App. From what I can tell some of the Semi-Professional acts that perform at the Kung Fu Comedy club in Shanghai do some stop overs in Hangzhou at Shares Bar which is located in Binjiang...that's the reason why the performances aren't so often as it isnt a dedicated comedy club, it just hosts spill over events kinda.

Well, there's definitely a lot of material to work with in Hangzhou. Take your pick: G20, scooter regulations, taxi drivers, G20, the abundance of fuerdai driving Lamborghinis, traffic congestion, Chinese nightclubs, humorless government officials, and G20, 

On 8/7/2016 at 2:33 PM, dabrownbandit said:

Every once in awhile they get a posting in the More Magazine or App. From what I can tell some of the Semi-Professional acts that perform at the Kung Fu Comedy club in Shanghai do some stop overs in Hangzhou at Shares Bar which is located in Binjiang...that's the reason why the performances aren't so often as it isnt a dedicated comedy club, it just hosts spill over events kinda.

Well that is good to know. 

Thanks for the info. 

I don't live that far from Shares Bar. Probably will check it out soon. 

On 8/9/2016 at 9:01 AM, runnionator said:

Well, there's definitely a lot of material to work with in Hangzhou. Take your pick: G20, scooter regulations, taxi drivers, G20, the abundance of fuerdai driving Lamborghinis, traffic congestion, Chinese nightclubs, humorless government officials, and G20, 

G20 really seems to have got your goat :) 

But I hear you. 

From what I have heard from friends who were here in Hangzhou earlier things have changed quite a bit. 

22 hours ago, Anvith KS said:

Well that is good to know. 

Thanks for the info. 

I don't live that far from Shares Bar. Probably will check it out soon. 

I've seen a couple of Shanghai Comedy Club shows in Shanghai, and they're good. The comedians are primarily from North America, so the material is raunchy, sexual natured, homo-themed, and bodily function-explicit with a lot of fun audience-interactions (definitely not PG-rated). J.J. Wakrat (Canadian) normally is the headliner, but my favorite is Barney (Los Angeles). You'll want to sit in the Front Row to get the full experience, but nobody in the audience is "safe" from these guys.

They have a WeChat account: ShanghaiComedyClub. Enjoy.

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2016 at 9:01 AM, HZ_Time said:

Well, there's definitely a lot of material to work with in Hangzhou. Take your pick: G20, scooter regulations, taxi drivers, G20, the abundance of fuerdai driving Lamborghinis, traffic congestion, Chinese nightclubs, humorless government officials, and G20

that's the same material that everybody do here... i recommend you go out of the box.

Stand up comedy sucks a dick. I would rather get poked in the eye by a fire poker or fucked in the ass with no grease by Mike Tyson than actually paying money to listen to someone trying to yuck me up. Seriously?

On 6/13/2018 at 12:03 PM, Mr. Zheng said:

Stand up comedy sucks a dick. I would rather get poked in the eye by a fire poker or fucked in the ass with no grease by Mike Tyson than actually paying money to listen to someone trying to yuck me up. Seriously?

What the fuck are you doing looking in a forum which the topic is stand up comedy! Lol Ps. I’m sure Mike Tyson will not Fuck your flat ass and you talk like Trump

12 hours ago, frankmndez said:

What the fuck are you doing looking in a forum which the topic is stand up comedy! Lol Ps. I’m sure Mike Tyson will not Fuck your flat ass and you talk like Trump

The problem with your second comment is that Mike Tyson and Donald Trump are good friends....in fact...if you ever took a second to be not biased towards Americas current President, and one of the best of all time, there is the Donald Trump documentary to which you can see Tyson is actually a huge fan of Trump....and yes....he black! OMG

Its an old post... fighting about something what happened in the past... 
Its like discussing which one came first... the chicken or the egg....

Talking about politics its a DONT in China, especially online... 

*retards...

Wow! 

It was just a post on whether there was a Standup Comedy scene in Hangzhou. 

Take it easy people. 

There are regular shows, usually conducted by the people at Kung Fu Comedy and also some comedians from Shanghai. 

Most commonly at Shares Bar, Binjiang (this information is 2 years old though). 

Cheers,

Anvith.