Hangzhou Expat
ZAcelliers

New members - the way of forums

This a a quick reference for new members to this forum and even forums in general.

Many on this forum started right where you are, and have over time built up and become part of the "family", so to say. If you are familiar to forums, great. If not here is the most basic of things you need to know.

Straight off the bat, the term newbie, will be your tag for a while, this does not mean anything bad. It is simply a reference to the fact that you are new to the forum.

"A person new to a game, concept, or forum. Not to be confused with n00b, a stupid person. Newbies are just new." - Urban Dictionary.

You have come to this forum, either to meet other/new people, or to simply ask a question. Both are fine, but please pay attention to the guides when asking questions.

The chances that you will get a solid answer, covering the question/s you have asked will depend on a couple of factors:

1. Use the search function within the forum, to possibly find the same or similar question you have. This way, it makes it easier for the next person to find the answer to their question.
  2. If you do not find the question/answer you are looking for, you can create a new topic under Hangzhou Questions & Answers.
  3. When posting, keep it as simple and as clear as possible. This makes it easier for our multi-national, multi-lingual community to assist you. (We know and understand that not everyone on this forum is a native English speaker.)
  4. Please use common sense. "Dumb" questions will have our unique trolls and keyboard warriors on you quicker than you think. This goes for repeated questions as well.
  5. Manners cost you nothing. We are a community of different races, cultures and beliefs. Try and ask or say something in the same way you would to someone on the street, without the possibility of being punched in the teeth.
  6. If you do create a topic, do not simply "hit and run". Meaning, do not post your question, get your answer and disappear. Give credit where credit is due. On the bottom right of the answer you have received, there is a green arrow pointing up, simple click on that, and say thanks to the user for the information.

I hope that this gives a better idea of how to co-exist a little easier, and make the adjustment to China smoother.

• Upvote 15

It might be worth adding... before posting the question (or ju7st answering any) to make a post in the "New Members" section first. I'd like to add to that - don't just say "Hi, I'm new here...". something a bit more informative about yourself would be nice! This is especially true if you're going to be looking for advice - so where in HZ you'll be staying is MOST IMPORTANT!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Hey guys, I'm Ryan Lim from Malaysia. A Chinese Malaysian who just relocated to Hangzhou. I speak Chinese, English and Malay. Hope to get to know some new friends in Hangzhou. Currently staying in Linping, a small place 30-45mins away from Hangzhou city centre. 

• Upvote 2

Hello all, my name is Patrick and I am from the USA. I have been here in HZ for about 3 months. I came to China to learn Mandarin and get my HSK level 6. I live in BinJiang Rainbow City. I am teaching ESL and one of my coworkers told me to come here to learn more about the city.

• Upvote 2

Hey people, I'm Wettaka from Botswana. I'm currently doing my bachelor's at ZUST and I've been around for 9months. Looking forward to making the most out of the remaining years here.

Hello everyone, I am Marcel from Germany and I came to Hangzhou to study Chinese and also look for work later on. Hopefully I can make a lot of new friends here and visit some of the tourist attractions.

• Upvote 1

Hello all, my name is JimmySong and I am Chinese. I live in xiaoshan area in hangzhou. I am an engineer, contact with me if anyone who want to practice Chinese ,meanwhile as an exchange ,I'd like to practice English or I want to learn Russian.

• Upvote 2

Hello,

Not new to Hangzhou but new to this forum :)

i am available for any newbie who needs assistance as I was lost myself when I arrived.

i am a fan of music concerts, movies and nightlife especially .

See you around ;)

• Upvote 2

Hi,

Recently returned to Hangzhou after an absence of six years. I'm teaching Academic English for the ZUCC-University of Waikato Joint Institute. Things certainly have changed a lot in HZ since Ai was last here. Looking forward to catching with old friends and acquaintances if there are still any of you around.

Stephen from Australia

• Upvote 1

Hello everyone:) 

I am new in HZ. I live in Binjiang district. I'm a little bit scared and facinated this city. This is my first time in China. I came here with my husband. I feel lonley because I don't work and I don't have any friends here so I write:) I have a hope that I meet here some openmind and helpful people to go somewhere on coffe, beer or lunch:) If someone have o lot of time like I write me :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi all! I'm Maryna from Ukraine. I'm experienced piano teacher. Live in China over 3 years. 1 week ago come to Hangzhou from Guangzhou. Hope stay here long time :) Will be glad get some suggestions about life in Hangzhou. 

• Like 1

People who introduce themselves here... The point of this thread was to introduce you guys to the "rules" of a forum... Not to actually introduce yourself :P

• Upvote 2

Hi everyone,

I am Yannick, from France, i have been in Hangzhou for 1 year now, just thought would be useful to register here for future plans or getting some info.

I currently live in Xihu Qu, near Xixi park.

I am a french teacher,

Nice to meet you all, have a nice day :)

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 9:15 PM, san5324 said:

ALL THE IDIOTS ABOVE WHO INTRODUCE THEMSELVES HERE... THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR THAT I REPEAT,  THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR THAT... 

lol that's kinda mean... care to share a link of the right place?

On 5/28/2018 at 5:00 AM, YolandaJ said:

lol that's kinda mean... care to share a link of the right place?

Yup certain people I have to mean or they just don't understand things..