Hangzhou Expat
Elvita S.

an expat family live in Xiao Shan

Question

Hi, I'm considering accepting a position in Hangzhou. My husband and I have a 1.5 year-old kid. I'm looking for a place in Xiao Shan or Bin Jiang. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what it would like living in Xiao Shan(or Bin Jiang) with a toddler? We are now living in Taiwan, where all kinds of stores are just a few steps away. So, grocery shopping, running errands, clinics, day care and access to parks/playgrounds are quite convenient. We don't need a car to be able to get around easily. (Although I might get a car for work.) It would be great to hear some experience of living in Xiao Shan with toddlers. Thanks in advance.

12 answers to this question

I'd probably stay in Taiwan just to avoid these fanatical responses by locals, like this person ↑.

In comparison with Taipei, Hangzhou still has a long way to go.

The public transportation network in Hangzhou is alright I guess. Busses usually get you anywhere you want.

As for imported products, I'd recommend going to Shanghai for some shopping once in a while or buying things online with TaoBao. You won't be able to find stuff here in a Hangzhou supermarket like in a Carrefour in Taipei for example. Or even a 7-11.

Housing areas are usually compiled with junk/fast-food restaurants (not to be compared with Taiwan food safety standards), fruit markets (beware: imported grapes from god-knows-where might cost you 3 times more than the usual local ones), random shops, liquor/tobacco stores, convenient stores (I doubt you'll even find anything you want to buy, unless it's beer or an extra set of socks or Chinese cookies that might look older than the shop itself).

If you're lucky to have a larger supermarket in the neighborhood, you might be able to find more/better/suitable supplies. Supermarkets tend to get really crowdy after 5 pm. I'd definitely NOT bring a child over there during rush hours.

I usually buy the usual veggies and meat in a mini-store next to where I live. There usually are big(ger) local marketplaces, where you might find cheaper (fresher?) veggies or meat or whatsoever. Beware of the smell though. These markets aren't the ones most Europeans are used to. You won't smell spices, fresh vegetables or fruit, flowers, etc. I've been to a few of these markets and they're not all as bad as my first experience where I nearly puked. Not sure if you've been to the slums in India, or some outskirt suburb in Kyrgyzstan.. The smell is/can be pretty bad.

I'm Taiwanese. Been living mostly abroad and now I'm here in China! Everything isn't that bad as it seems of course, but this place sure isn't made for everyone to like.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, the field name was Country and I changed it to Country/ Region

BTW, it is not a forum to discuss politics

On 11/29/2016 at 10:10 AM, hsuan.yang said:

I'd probably stay in Taiwan just to avoid these fanatical responses by locals, like this person ↑.

In comparison with Taipei, Hangzhou still has a long way to go.

The public transportation network in Hangzhou is alright I guess. Busses usually get you anywhere you want.

As for imported products, I'd recommend going to Shanghai for some shopping once in a while or buying things online with TaoBao. You won't be able to find stuff here in a Hangzhou supermarket like in a Carrefour in Taipei for example. Or even a 7-11.

Housing areas are usually compiled with junk/fast-food restaurants (not to be compared with Taiwan food safety standards), fruit markets (beware: imported grapes from god-knows-where might cost you 3 times more than the usual local ones), random shops, liquor/tobacco stores, convenient stores (I doubt you'll even find anything you want to buy, unless it's beer or an extra set of socks or Chinese cookies that might look older than the shop itself).

If you're lucky to have a larger supermarket in the neighborhood, you might be able to find more/better/suitable supplies. Supermarkets tend to get really crowdy after 5 pm. I'd definitely NOT bring a child over there during rush hours.

I usually buy the usual veggies and meat in a mini-store next to where I live. There usually are big(ger) local marketplaces, where you might find cheaper (fresher?) veggies or meat or whatsoever. Beware of the smell though. These markets aren't the ones most Europeans are used to. You won't smell spices, fresh vegetables or fruit, flowers, etc. I've been to a few of these markets and they're not all as bad as my first experience where I nearly puked. Not sure if you've been to the slums in India, or some outskirt suburb in Kyrgyzstan.. The smell is/can be pretty bad.

I'm Taiwanese. Been living mostly abroad and now I'm here in China! Everything isn't that bad as it seems of course, but this place sure isn't made for everyone to like.

+1 

Quality of life is really inferior here. No doubt about it. If financial incentives are good enough you can put up with anything though. 

• Upvote 1

On 29/11/2016 at 10:26 AM, Jake said:

Sorry, the field name was Country and I changed it to Country/ Region

BTW, it is not a forum to discuss politics

Would it not therefore be smart to remove any offending posts of a political nature (for either side of the debate?)

On 29/11/2016 at 9:19 AM, hangzhoustone said:

Hi, Nice to meet you。 But taiwan is not a country.  its a parts of china. its a province of  china.  if you dont admit one china.  You are not welcome。 

Care to get off your high horse, and try reading the OP again??? The OP didn't even suggest anything like what you are - only that they've been living on (the island of) Taiwan....

• Upvote 1

On 29/11/2016 at 9:19 AM, hangzhoustone said:

Hi, Nice to meet you。 But taiwan is not a country.  its a parts of china. its a province of  china.  if you dont admit one china.  You are not welcome。 

Lol, If it's just a province of China let's go down there tomorrow, but don't forget your passport, that applies to me too, you'll also need to apply for an Entry & Exit permit too, but all this is standard practice when going from one province to another isn't it.

• Upvote 1

Hi, nice to meet you, as I know, if a Chinese want to go to HongKong and Macao, they also need to apply for an Entry & Exit permit, is't means HongKong and Macao should be called "Country"?? BTW,  there are a lot of place you can buy whatever you want, I live around Intime City, there is a huge international supermarket underground the shopping mall, the price is higher though, I don't know where u live, if you live in XIAOSHAN, I'd better call it a village... BTW, I went to Taiwan this Jan. nice place.

• Upvote 1

Binjiang is more upscale.  If you make a lot of money maybe consider there.  You can get everything delivered nowadays, so you're never roughing it.  Xiaoshan seems to have more buses and local shops though.

On 11/28/2016 at 8:19 PM, hangzhoustone said:

除非你是个马甲,你要是个中国人我真特么替你害臊!

On 11/28/2016 at 2:34 AM, Elvita S. said:

Hi, I'm considering accepting a position in Hangzhou. My husband and I have a 1.5 year-old kid. I'm looking for a place in Xiao Shan or Bin Jiang. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what it would like living in Xiao Shan(or Bin Jiang) with a toddler? We are now living in Taiwan, where all kinds of stores are just a few steps away. So, grocery shopping, running errands, clinics, day care and access to parks/playgrounds are quite convenient. We don't need a car to be able to get around easily. (Although I might get a car for work.) It would be great to hear some experience of living in Xiao Shan with toddlers. Thanks in advance.

I would prefer Binjiang to Xiaoshan if you don't have a 3rd option. All you mentioned above is easy to get as long as you live in the right place - either somewhere near the Caihongcheng(彩虹城) or somewhere near the Binjiang District Government(滨江区政府), What it would be like? As a native of Hangzhou and a father of two kids(2.5 and 4.5), I would say It's good, but definitely not as good as it is in the downtown(where i grew up), only except a better traffic.