Hangzhou Expat
Sign in to follow this  
Lyn Linton

Has anyone done a day trip to Yellow Mountain

My research suggests that Huangshan Geopark is about 3 hours by bus from Hangzhou. I would be interesting in doing a trip there but am not sure of the logistics . eg which bus that actually heads to the mountain ... and do I need to book accommodation before I go . Any thoughts ?

I traveled there over the Mid-Autumn Festival. I would suggest a short weekend trip rather than a day trip. If you take the bus to Huangshan Tunxi (the city, not the mountain itself) at night, you can find relatively cheap accommodations near the train station, from which you can get a bus to the mountain starting around 5:30am I believe. If you start early, you can avoid some of the crowds. The bus to the Geopark takes a little over an hour and costs around 20 yuan. You then have to pay for entry to the park and take another bus to the mountain itself. From there, how long you spend on the mountain is up to you, which direction you choose to hike, whether you choose the cable car, etc. I see that this post is a little old, but hopefully it is helpful for anyone else who has a similar question.