Hangzhou Expat
Sign in to follow this  
KSG

Housing where you can flush toilet paper?

Question

Hi!  I'm looking at moving to Hangzhou for 6 months and I'm nervous about not being able to flush toilet paper down the toilet.  I lived in Beijing before in a foreigner-heavy compound and never had any issues with that, but I've been reading scary things online.  Any advice? Apartment complexes to avoid? We are likely to be in a serviced apartment, due to the short duration of stay...

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

Well, I've only been living in China for about a year or so.. 

But from my experience here, the usual 'apartment complexes' goes for mostly everywhere in China, right? 

You get over-renovated apartments for extravagant prices that are supposed to look 'Western', and then you head to the bathroom to find the illogical design where they decided to put the porcelain throne right in front of the bathroom sink. So, you'd have to bend over or try to lean against something or figure out some un-ergonomic posture to try and brush your teeth and stuff. Or there's something wrong with the kitchen, or the huge closet in your bedroom might be blocking the door, etc. etc. etc. 

There are so many other examples which you and everyone else probably already know. :) 

Some companies try to make an effort when housing foreign nationals by getting them an all-round decent (Chinese standards) place to stay.. 

Fingers crossed! 

We haven't had any issues with this. Now the drain smells, that's something else that takes getting used to, but so far, where we have lived and where we are looking for apartments the flushing seems pretty good.

2 hours ago, drown said:

Now the drain smells, that's something else that takes getting used to,

I have had this problem in other Asian countries I've lived.  I periodically pour a cup of bleach down the offending drain.  If it is backing up, as well, or slow draining, it's probably due to build up from others pouring grease and oil down the drain.  A little preventive drain cleaner or hydrochloric acid will take care of that.

Be careful what cleaners you put down drains here due to the material of the pipes. A computer mousepad placed over the drain when not in use is also helpful 

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2017 at 9:46 PM, keaventh said:

Be careful what cleaners you put down drains here due to the material of the pipes. A computer mousepad placed over the drain when not in use is also helpful 

I have large, heavy,  rubber drain plugs on all of them but there are days where it just doesn't help and we get really strong odors of rotten onions coming into out bathrooms. It can be really disgusting.

On 4/25/2017 at 11:17 AM, drown said:

I have large, heavy,  rubber drain plugs on all of them but there are days where it just doesn't help and we get really strong odors of rotten onions coming into out bathrooms. It can be really disgusting.

sorry to hear that, mostly it happens because of the unreasonable design of the pipe - lacking of the trap/water-sealed join which prevents the odor coming up through the pipe. Have you ever tried dredging powder(bleach won't work)? It's very easy to get from 淘宝 and is good for either unclogging or daily maintenance.

With hospitals often housing patients sin migrant worker housing, the overflowing sewers, apt complex pipes thinner than spaghetti and smelling like onions, and parking garages built one-level deep for a 25 storey apt complex, I guess we better focus on the G train lines and claim China is making great strides in infrastructure. What a superficial place