Hangzhou Expat
drewgough

Arriving with dog direct to Hangzhou

Question

Hi all,

About to move to Hangzhou from Turkey (Canadian) and my wife and I are trying to figure out the best way to get our rescue dog to China. I've found flights from Amsterdam direct to Hangzhou, bypassing Shanghai or quarantine-less Guangzhou, but wondered if anyone knows if there is a mandatory quarantine in Hangzhou or has any experience arriving directly from another country with a pet? 

Thanks in advance! 

Drew

9 answers to this question

Hey there,

So I'm light on concrete information, but was able to get the dog in no problem. Some of my colleagues had called ahead to see if there was a quarantine but also couldn't find any information.

When I got there, the dog was in his crate by the luggage carousel, and we just passed through immigration and customs normally, then there's a separate "quarantine" area where they examined his paperwork (from Turkey, which added an extra layer of confusion), made some photocopies, handed me an "import certificate" and then I repeatedly said thank you and left. Maybe I just ignored requests in Chinese to leave the dog, but I don't think so. It was all very friendly and straightforward, but 0% of it occurred in English so if you have a Chinese-speaking friend or colleague that you could call to be a translator when you arrive, that could be helpful. 

Best of luck! 

Drew

• Like 1

I found this information on the HZ airport website a few months ago when I was thinking of bringing my cat through Hangzhou.

"Passengers bringing in dogs or cats as pets should produce valid animal health certificate, and rabies vaccine injection certificate produced by authorities of the export nation or area. Each person can only bring in one pet with his/her own passport. Inspection and quarantine authorities shall quarantine the pet at a designated venue for 30 days."

http://www.hzairport.com/en/dd_gjdd.aspx

I don't know if the rule is enforced -- I decided to go through Shanghai as that route requires just 7 days quarantine. 

On 5/14/2017 at 11:49 PM, drewgough said:

Hi all,

About to move to Hangzhou from Turkey (Canadian) and my wife and I are trying to figure out the best way to get our rescue dog to China. I've found flights from Amsterdam direct to Hangzhou, bypassing Shanghai or quarantine-less Guangzhou, but wondered if anyone knows if there is a mandatory quarantine in Hangzhou or has any experience arriving directly from another country with a pet? 

Thanks in advance! 

Drew

Hi Drew,

Would love to know if you found out any concrete information or what did you do exactly?

@LAX-PAT  Did you fly into Hangzhou recently? What was your experience? We're hoping to fly with our border collie through Hangzhou instead of Shanghai as well. Just looking for the most up to date information at this point. 

@drewgough Was your quarantine free experience in 2017 or 2018?

Thanks for any direction you two could provide!

Just flew into Hangzhou today and was told they wanted to hold the dogs for 30 days. Somehow we convinced them to let us leave with the dogs because we are moving to Shanghai. I do not recommend coming through Hangzhou! I feel like we were very lucky to get out! 

Also, it’s 99% impossible to fly with animals in cabin within China. This we learned after booking flights on an airline that specifically says they allow it. 

5 hours ago, moving2018 said:

Just flew into Hangzhou today and was told they wanted to hold the dogs for 30 days. Somehow we convinced them to let us leave with the dogs because we are moving to Shanghai. I do not recommend coming through Hangzhou! I feel like we were very lucky to get out! 

Also, it’s 99% impossible to fly with animals in cabin within China. This we learned after booking flights on an airline that specifically says they allow it. 

U were very lucky..