Jas1308

American, Hangzhou in Sept, What do I need?

13 posts in this topic

Ni hao, wo shi Jason!

I'm an American, 22y/o and am searching for an open mind, friends, knowledge, and wisdom. What should I know before my flight? What do I need and not need to pack? How can I be prepared? I'll be teaching in September. 

Xie xie! 

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.

Bring medicine: especially for food poisoning. Had the worst food poisoning in my life in China... Flu medicine (gripex or tylenol; they have paracetamol but it does shit-all), pain killers... toothpaste (with fluoride) is also a good idea, as well as deoderant. You wear glasses? get a prescribtion or buy an extra pair (even cheap ones will do in need).

Tall? bring clothes and shoes. I couldn't find basketball shoes here that fit...

Buy VPN. Research which one will work best for you. (a free option - people here use Green VPN and it seems to work just fine) Install skype while you're still in the free world. Skype is not blocked here, but the Chinese version is infested. Install  WeChat.

Do a check-up on your electronics (my mistake - now pretty much screwed)

Do not drink the tap water in China. 

Practice meditation. and read up on Stoicism.

Buy a lot of deodorants, don't know for what particoular reasons here is expensive and not so much type to choose from.

Some obvious things for anyone travelling - make sure you have a reliable person to whom you've given power of attorney (ie, can access your bank accounts etc, and sort out legal crap while you're away). If you haven't done this in writing, things can be really really frustrating!

Public toilets in China rarely have toilet paper (apparently, because the locals steal it all!). Instead, you'll be carrying around a little pack of tissues... just thought I'd tell you this before you find out the hard way! And, most public (and often, private) toilets are squatters... no sitting down comfortably... hope your knees are up to it!

Just because you read it, doesn't mean it's either true, nor anything like what you'd expect back home. (see the thread on bacon, for example!)

If you need medicines - get scripts, and doctor's letters... translated! Do this in America, where it should be easy to get the right translation for meds...

Jake - why don't we still have a sticky for this????

Nihao  Jason,

Welcome to hangzhou, above suggestions already covered pretty much you need to know before your departure. We'd like to introduce you to our other American students and students from different countries, we have chinese teachers who all have experience of studying abroad, so you can PM say hi chinese to get contact information since it can be shown here in public, we are happy to offer you language help.

Sayhi Chinese

3 hours ago, Sayhi Chinese in Binjiang said:

Nihao  Jason,

Welcome to hangzhou, above suggestions already covered pretty much you need to know before your departure. We'd like to introduce you to our other American students and students from different countries, we have chinese teachers who all have experience of studying abroad, so you can PM say hi chinese to get contact information since it can be shown here in public, we are happy to offer you language help.

Sayhi Chinese

I bet you are. And, let me guess, for an extremely low price as well!!!

the guy hasn't even landed in China and you're already going after that sweet, sweet laowai coin... 

people here for the most part are not dumb or naive (maybe apart from that probed by a UFO guy) and can tell the difference between advertising and "help". Maybe create a thread in Bazar sub, outline your services and stop spamming ? just my $0.02

On 2017/7/28 at 11:42 PM, Hungry_Hippo said:

the guy hasn't even landed in China and you're already going after that sweet, sweet laowai coin... 

people here for the most part are not dumb or naive (maybe apart from that probed by a UFO guy) and can tell the difference between advertising and "help". Maybe create a thread in Bazar sub, outline your services and stop spamming ? just my $0.02

Do you need to pay for meeting new people? If yes, I am sorry to know that. But we don't charge for it and we are willing to give people some help, it won't cost us that much, just a little time like we already helped a lot of nice people. Everyone is happy to do it. guy, it is not you do everything for money. 

8 minutes ago, Sayhi Chinese in Binjiang said:

Do you need to pay for meeting new people? If yes, I am sorry to know that. But we don't charge for it and we are willing to give people some help, it won't cost us that much, just a little time like we already helped a lot of nice people. Everyone is happy to do it. guy, it is not you do everything for money. 

Well you might not be like that but on average hippo was 100% spot on. 

On 28/07/2017 at 11:42 PM, Hungry_Hippo said:

I totally agree!

There is a sales pitch!

The most obvious give-away is that it's a business account and not a personal account! So, you're effectively saying "come to our business to meet us". That's called 'promotion'. We have an area for that...

On 2017/7/5 at 0:32 PM, Jas1308 said:

Ni hao, wo shi Jason!

I'm an American, 22y/o and am searching for an open mind, friends, knowledge, and wisdom. What should I know before my flight? What do I need and not need to pack? How can I be prepared? I'll be teaching in September. 

Xie xie! 

Nihao Jason!

I studied in America 8 years ago and met a lot of nice people there. I have been teaching Chinese for more than 10 years. Hangzhou is a nice city, above suggestions covered almost everything you need to know before your departure. You may experience culture shock after you come, China is totally different from western countries and developed a lot than before, you will meet many nice people,so don't worry, you will enjoy your stay here. Let me know if you need language help, I am always wiling to do it. 

Oh there's one more important thing for you to know. If you need help for medical issues, you can go to Puremed Clinic.That clinic locates in the downtown area, the Mixc Mall. Doctors are really nice and the most important thing is that all the staff there can speak good English! 

Puremed.jpg