Sign in to follow this  
Popcorn Sutton

How to survive hell (or a Hangzhou summer).

Well it is that time of the year. To all newbies to H-town, summer has begun and the weather will stay this way until around October 1. yes, October. The temperatures will taper off a bit come September, but it is not uncommon for it to stay in the 30's C or 90's F in September. it is as hot here as it is in Bangkok, Thailand (actually for 7/12, Hangzhou is hotter than Bangkok) with the same humidity. Humidity is important because it will cause one to sweat and the need to refurbish oneself with water. Heat is different depending on the hunidity levels. 35* with low humidity is almost nice and swimming pool weather, 35* with 80% humidity is hot death. I humourously say that it feels like being in a dead dog's butthole.

Note, not all places, like convenience stores and shops have cold water and the bottled water may be warm or tepid, due to the idea of Chinese that cold liquids is bad for them. So it pays to notice shops and places near your home or work location which offers cold drinks and patron them (and if you speak Chinese well, praise them for having cold drinks). Not always, but many times KEDI shops have cold drinks. But again, to my annoyance, there are a lot of drinks in refrigerators with the power off. Be also aware that sometimes in an office or somewhere you might ask for a cup of water and get hot water.

Try to stay out of the midday sun. Pretty much a "duh" saying, but it would behoove anyone to try to do their business either early in the day or later in the afternoon. If it gets too hot, you can duck into a bank or a nice hotel with a lobby. 99 percent of the time, the staff will not bother you at all and allow you to have a rest to cool down. The Bank of China, or really all the major banks have lobbies and since Chinese bank services are usually slower than a dead turtle, you sitting there soaking up their air conditioning wont put you out of place.

Wear light clothing. White clothes, t-shirts, what have you. A hat would also be good if you like hats. You can be fashionable, but being cool is better than being comfortable. Most Chinese, especially the provinical ones, like to roll up their shirts to expose the belly or roll up the pants legs. Couldnt care less. When it is 37* with full on humidity, being cool supersedes looking like an idiot.

The taxi drivers will not run between 3:00-5:00 pm as a rule, especially around the 4:00 time. At 4:00 pm, the taxis wont pick up anyone. You can be Xi Jin Ping, Jackie Chan or the most beautiful woman in Asia, and they will not pick your ass up for nothing. It pays to know the bus routes. Because again, the taxi drivers may or may not be out to accept passengers. I for the most part like the Hangzhou busses and have no problem using them and while sometimes they are packed tighter than a sardine can, usually one can find a seat or standing room has room, and more often than not the busses are cool.

For some reason, the Chinese do not have the concept of central heat and air and have to rely on these air conditioners, which are usually large floor units or mounted on a wall. The floor units usually work OK, but the wall units are usually pieces of shit which breaks down. It's not your unit, it is everyone's unit. Also be aware in an office environment that Chinese love to leave the door open in an air conditioned room or open windows for "fresh air", which invites mosquitos and flies. Lots of mosquitos here, so it also pays to keep your windows and doors shut tight.

Lastly, concerning alcohol. I drink to intoxication about once a week, and many folks here enjoy the night out, especially you younger people and that's great. But to be warned that the heat makes people what I call "squirrely", maybe the feeling of being cooped up in an air conditioned place and then having to deal with the heat (even at night) and the alcohol can add to this. So be careful to check yourself and your surroundings if you want that cold beer or five. People drink too much and people sometimes get into fights, heat and emotions go hand in hand.

That is about it. I was born and raised in this shitty hot ass climate so I know. Stay inside, be careful about the drinkin', learn the public transportation, dress for the climate not your status, and realize unless you escape, we are all in the same boat for the next eight weeks or so.

Good Luck.

• Upvote 3

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.

Stay hydrated;

Wear a hat or an umbrella;

Use sunscreen. Doesn't matter whcih one - important to reapply;

hot water good for healthy...

wear linen clothes if possible.

... just stay the fuck out of Hangzhou.

BTW you guys know in the summer there are those old underground bunkers that will have free air conditioning. This is done for the elderly. It is free of course. 

At yanan road this is the underground passage after Carrefour supermarket (going south)  and west lake intime. 

• Upvote 2

Yesterday, the Wulin suqare metro station has broken air con on the area of the ticket machine. Of couse 3 out of 6 machine didn't work or stop to work as result that tons of sweating peoples were in line and pushing you trying to get the ticket as fast as they can.

Can anyone explain me why the hell there are no more person in charge to sell ticket at metro stations?

11 hours ago, ivanoros87 said:

Yesterday, the Wulin suqare metro station has broken air con on the area of the ticket machine. Of couse 3 out of 6 machine didn't work or stop to work as result that tons of sweating peoples were in line and pushing you trying to get the ticket as fast as they can.

Can anyone explain me why the hell there are no more person in charge to sell ticket at metro stations?

Hahaha ha sounds like hell..  There are 2 places where u can buy a ticket in the booth and I've seen another place where a person was sitting behind a desk and u could also buy a ticket with them. 

• Upvote 1

On 2017/7/13 at 2:30 AM, san5324 said:

BTW you guys know in the summer there are those old underground bunkers that will have free air conditioning. This is done for the elderly. It is free of course. 

At yanan road this is the underground passage after Carrefour supermarket (going south)  and west lake intime. 

Didn't know this one. But old people make me uncomfortable in China... Suspicious old farts.

On 2017年7月13日 at 11:50 AM, ivanoros87 said:

Sure. The people are lazy and dumb. They do not know how to repair the machines, but since there are machines, there is no real need to have a person to sell the passes. Also, when you leave the station and you have to either put the card into the machine or scan your pass and the door won't open. A lot of them do not work either. Probably like this for months.

Chinese will do their job and know their surroundings. They have no clue about anything else in their work area because it is not for them to know. As I said before, Chinese don't fix anything. It wears out, and gets tossed out. There is no one to complain to, even if you speak the language, because most of them don't know their right hand from left, not their job and couldn't care less.

3 hours ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

Didn't know this one. But old people make me uncomfortable in China... Suspicious old farts.

Few years ago hangzhou was hell on earth,  more than 3 weeks they temp was in the day time 42 degrees and night 36... So they came up with that idea.. 

Here the temp is a comfortable 21 degrees and I enjoy it dearly,  thought you might be interested in this ;p

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, san5324 said:

Few years ago hangzhou was hell on earth,  more than 3 weeks they temp was in the day time 42 degrees and night 36... So they came up with that idea.. 

Here the temp is a comfortable 21 degrees and I enjoy it dearly,  thought you might be interested in this ;p

That was the summer of 2013. Bad time for me emotionally and I would stay in the apartment all day with the blinds closed and darkened, air conditioner blasting to the point where it would spit condensation, and I wouldnt leave except for midnight food runs either to the street or the McDonalds nearby, and even at 11 PM, it was sweating hot, with heavy air. Miserable year.

My worst summer of all time was the Summer of 1980 in America. I was 13 and my home city has almost similar weather to Hangzhou, except we get tornados. But a High Front decided to just stay in the American Midwest and just sit there like a stoner with unlimited video games and pizza for three months, and the weather was hellish. The highest high was 42.2C, which is 108 F. Lows were up to 36-37C at midnight. It was so bad that no one went out unless you just had too. I had a full on membership to the YMCA and could swim everyday (and my parents thought swimming was important, and we did every summer), that summer, forget about it. The YMCA was throwing blocks of ice in the pool for the few who would dare. What was sad was that a lot of poor and elderly people couldnt afford the electricity and were dying in their modest homes with only a box fan. Internationally it was the year of the Iranian hostage crisis, and since we were all stuck in the house praying for the AC to not die, we watched a lot of television.

Two beautiful places to escape the heat, either Dali and Lijiang in Yunnan or Kangding in Sichuan. Lijiang is famous. Kangding is about seven or eight hours by bus up the mountain from Chengdu to the T i b e t a n areas with beautiful houses, buildings, temples. Beautiful with towering mountains, steep valleys, very clean. The only small thing was the food was terrible, but being able to sleep with the windows open at night and for a fatass like me to be able to hike without sweating balls was great.

2 hours ago, Popcorn Sutton said:

That was the summer of 2013. Bad time for me emotionally and I would stay in the apartment all day with the blinds closed and darkened, air conditioner blasting to the point where it would spit condensation, and I wouldnt leave except for midnight food runs either to the street or the McDonalds nearby, and even at 11 PM, it was sweating hot, with heavy air. Miserable year.

My worst summer of all time was the Summer of 1980 in America. I was 13 and my home city has almost similar weather to Hangzhou, except we get tornados. But a High Front decided to just stay in the American Midwest and just sit there like a stoner with unlimited video games and pizza for three months, and the weather was hellish. The highest high was 42.2C, which is 108 F. Lows were up to 36-37C at midnight. It was so bad that no one went out unless you just had too. I had a full on membership to the YMCA and could swim everyday (and my parents thought swimming was important, and we did every summer), that summer, forget about it. The YMCA was throwing blocks of ice in the pool for the few who would dare. What was sad was that a lot of poor and elderly people couldnt afford the electricity and were dying in their modest homes with only a box fan. Internationally it was the year of the Iranian hostage crisis, and since we were all stuck in the house praying for the AC to not die, we watched a lot of television.

Two beautiful places to escape the heat, either Dali and Lijiang in Yunnan or Kangding in Sichuan. Lijiang is famous. Kangding is about seven or eight hours by bus up the mountain from Chengdu to the T i b e t a n areas with beautiful houses, buildings, temples. Beautiful with towering mountains, steep valleys, very clean. The only small thing was the food was terrible, but being able to sleep with the windows open at night and for a fatass like me to be able to hike without sweating balls was great.

Man both times sounds they sucked like hell and I hope you get pass your bad emotional year..   Yeah 2013 was a doozy. Tires in beijing were exploding because of the temp hahaha... God I dont miss that shit at all.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Popcorn Sutton said:

<...>

My worst summer of all time was the Summer of 1980 in America. I was 13 and my home city has almost similar weather to Hangzhou, except we get tornados <...>

Two beautiful places to escape the heat, either Dali and Lijiang in Yunnan or Kangding in Sichuan. Lijiang is famous. Kangding is about seven or eight hours by bus up the mountain from Chengdu to the T i b e t a n areas with beautiful houses, buildings, temples. <...>

Even tornadoes avoid Hangzhou... 

Also, noticed that bit at the end :) Any particular reason you can't write Tibetan or just for emphasis ?

On 7/14/2017 at 0:39 PM, san5324 said:

Funny you mention it - I had an offer to go work in Netherlands :/

12 hours ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

Even tornadoes avoid Hangzhou... 

Also, noticed that bit at the end :) Any particular reason you can't write Tibetan or just for emphasis ?

Because if you write Tibetan, for some reason the editor of this website changes it to T1bet, which is annoying.

While there are tornados all over the World, tornados are mostly an American thing. Cold arctic air from the North Pole comes down through the plains of Canada and meets the tropical air of the Gulf of Mexico which creates violent storms betweeen the Rockies and the Appalachians from Spring to Fall.

Fortunately I have never seen a tornado, but I have seen the harm and destruction that they do and it is really amazing if it were not for the death and destruction. Very common for one side of the street to be totally flattened while the other side of the street the houses, trees and everything else is untouched.

It's a winter thing, but I dont understand why Hangzhou doesnt get ice storms, since they are sort of on the boundry of where it rains and snows, as in it usually gets close to freezing but rarely much below freezing and it is rainy and wet here much of the time (except right now where it is sunny with blue skies if you dont mind 100F weather). The winter of 2015-2016 was COLD. Like Chicago cold and shit for a few weeks. I froze my ass off and that piece of crap "air conditioner" (which is ironically cooling my room down as I speak) was of no help and I was sleeping in my clothes.

If Hangzhou weather were a person, it would be psychotic with multiple personalities in a straight jacket cursing at cats. The weather makes no sense here, or why Hangzhou is hotter than Bangkok in summer (see yourself).

• Upvote 1

The summer of 2013...hot as hell. I also remember when riding my ebike back then the wind hit my face was hellish.

I also remember that i almost broke up with my lady when she proposed to have hot pot togheter.

This topic is turning nostalgic.

Another awful thing about summer is that one is basically housebound unless they just have to go out. I havent left my wife's place in three days. No real need. Only go out for supplies. Since I am at my wife's place, I cannot drink alcohol, which is probably for the best anyway. Concerning drinking, try to keep in balance, because this heat makes people "squirrelly" and pissed off, and having to endure this shit for three months a year, to where it is uncomfortable to go outside for a walk, or having to wait for a bus, or not wanting to drag a taxi driver out and beat the tar out of him because its 4:00 and he wont pick you up and made the mistake of stopping to ask where you are going and then trying to drive away.

Someone was mentioning the tunnels in the mountains. I know one, which was behind the old Raggae Bar on Shuguang Road. There is a small driveway road which goes up a hill and it is there. All natural air conditioning in that tunnel and many people will sit out there and hang out because it saves them money on electricity and it gets them out of the house. Electrical bills also suck when you are running your AC 24/7......

One annoying thing (of the 104,346,998,000 other annoying things they do) with working with Chinese is that they always leave the door open in the office and they are always "cold". They also love to open the windows to let the "fresh air in". If it were up to me the windows would be nailed shut and people leaving the door open would be horse whipped.

China sucks anyway, today I was smelling something nice and natural and was dreaming I was in Laos. Laos is hotter than fuck now too, but there is a river, a waterfall, great food, cheap Lao beer, inexpensive herbal medication and quiet. That is a good place to sweat to death. Hangzhou used to be a nice city, how is a Thai hooker and Hangzhou the same? Both have hot, humid holes! And you know it.

• Upvote 1

Going to reach 40C this weekend. Batton down the hatches, we are in for a sweat ride.

Nothing to do this month but stay in. The PSB has my passport for my new Residence Permit (party July 31 evening, 7 Club). In the house with my Chinese wife in Dongyang. Nothing to do here but stay home and stay close to my god, the air conditioner. Just too damn hot to do anything else,even in the evenings.

Being truthful about the alcohol consumption. This heat makes people weird and people are already moody from the discomfort, the staying home or in an office, the hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold of it all, or an airconditioning bill higher than the Honeymoon Suite at the Shangri-La Hotel for the weekend.

Satan used to come here in the summer to escape the coolness of hell. Might still be around, if you see him, dont pull his finger.

• Upvote 1

Swimming pools can be found in many apartment buildings, but being China, there is always a catch.

Good news, most all the time, you do not need to be a resident of the complex to use the pool. Different places uses different systems and perhaps some require residency, but most do not. What sucks is that the pool is only open during certain hours of the day, usually late afternoon, maybe like 4pm to 8pm or sundown. You also usually have to pay a small enterence fee, maybe 5-10 RMB. If you try to use the pool any other time, the nosy guards will kick you out, no matter how quiet and mannerly you are.

Good thing is that the people running the pool wont hassle you if you bring in a beer. Problem is that you will be swimming with other people and their loud children. I love children and they dont bother me unless they are assholes, but kids can be assholes. The pool will close and this is every outdoor pool there is on September 1. Never mind that there is a good month's swimming left. One year, I and some friends jumped in a private pool in early October . Still plenty warm.

There is an indoor pool near Hangzhou Dasha. Dunno the name but it has been there for years, since I have been here. The Hyatt on West Lake has a pool for the rich folks, but it is probably over 100 RMB, but its a roof top pool, sort of a indoor/outdoor place.

I want to be on a snow mountain in Hokkaido drinking Suntory whiskey in a hot spring being served by a young Japanese maiden named Yukisako with little feet. That would be the true Oriental experience.