Sign in to follow this  
Popcorn Sutton

How to survive hell (or a Hangzhou summer).

Recommended Posts

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.
9 hours ago, |Rain| said:

is it in the beginning or mid September that temperature stops to drop at HZ?

Right now is what I call the "height of summer". Things will somewhat "cool off" a bit in August and hopefully and usually a typhoon will come which will drop the temperatures, blot out the sun and rain its ass off for a few days. Hopefully. Usually the end of summer heat will be around the last week of September or near the so called "National Day" in October.

This near 40* heat will probably last another two or three weeks and then gradually fall. It will be hot, but swimming pool hot, maybe around 35* for highs. But you wont see anything under 30 for about six more weeks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, |Rain| said:

is it in the beginning or mid September that temperature stops to drop at HZ?

Nope,  at the end of September the weather is still be around 32 degrees. Locals call it dragon autumn. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about winter? I heard that winter in Hangzhou is even worse than Canada because it's "Humid" cold with a lack of decent heating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, |Rain| said:

What about winter? I heard that winter in Hangzhou is even worse than Canada because it's "Humid" cold with a lack of decent heating.

Winter is cold af because the weather is so wet.. That and there is no proper isolation in your apartment. 

So basically when the outside is hot, inside is hot. When the outside is cold, inside is cold too. 

Ow and keep in mind that the air pollution getting really bad from November till Feb.. Pm2 has an average of 300+ during that time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go for 60 mile bike rides on your Trek road bike between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m!  Laugh at all the people hiding in the shade and napping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, winters here are miserable.  Wet, rainy, dreary, and cold.  Not severely cold outside, but if you live in a place without decent heating or are visiting Chinese friends/family, it gets pretty unbearable inside.  Know your destination.  Going someplace you know and can control the climate.  Dress for cool outside weather (depends on your home climate how much clothing that means).  Destination, be it a workplace, family, friends, or your own miserable apartment, get some long johns top and bottom...and if you are at home you can just wear them as leisure wear.  My first apartment and jobs were miserable.  My second job, I was in a completely enclosed room, so I was actual comfortable to hot (which was its own miserable because I couldn't run a fan or anything to cool myself without freaking out the parents and grandparents of the miserable students bundled up in 15 layers and sweating to death).  Also, depends on your activity.  Walking to work.  You'll be nice and toasty.  Riding the e-bike?  You'll need a few more layers which you may end up shedding at work depending on the heating situation.

I miss blizzards and spending the morning shoveling out in Wisconsin.

Oh, Hangzhou folks will go crazy and say it is snowing.  While technically true, more often it is just sleet, but they will scrape up the little snow that does fall and stick and make many tiny little snowmen, usually around the time of the next Star Wars movie release in China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The blessed October has finally arrived, where summer and the bastard summer is, finally leaves and won't return for about nine months. Nice to walk outside at night in sleeves.

China is right for having a holiday October 1. If I were a king, the whole month would be a holiday. A celebration of the fall harvest, fall rituals. Football (or rugby) which would end with Halloween, the High Holy Day of children, of merriment, where adults can also enjoy. Blessed October and we have reached this point, and enjoy, because the insane Hangzhou weather will turn again soon and it will be cold, wet and miserable again, but at least a man's balls won't stick to their legs and pants an instant sauna. You can't win, so enjoy the month before it freezes up.

Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017年9月26日 at 9:40 PM, packersfan said:

Yeah, winters here are miserable.  Wet, rainy, dreary, and cold.  Not severely cold outside, but if you live in a place without decent heating or are visiting Chinese friends/family, it gets pretty unbearable inside.  Know your destination.  Going someplace you know and can control the climate.  Dress for cool outside weather (depends on your home climate how much clothing that means).  Destination, be it a workplace, family, friends, or your own miserable apartment, get some long johns top and bottom...and if you are at home you can just wear them as leisure wear.  My first apartment and jobs were miserable.  My second job, I was in a completely enclosed room, so I was actual comfortable to hot (which was its own miserable because I couldn't run a fan or anything to cool myself without freaking out the parents and grandparents of the miserable students bundled up in 15 layers and sweating to death).  Also, depends on your activity.  Walking to work.  You'll be nice and toasty.  Riding the e-bike?  You'll need a few more layers which you may end up shedding at work depending on the heating situation.

I miss blizzards and spending the morning shoveling out in Wisconsin.

Oh, Hangzhou folks will go crazy and say it is snowing.  While technically true, more often it is just sleet, but they will scrape up the little snow that does fall and stick and make many tiny little snowmen, usually around the time of the next Star Wars movie release in China.

My parents are from eastern Iowa, Cedar Rapids. My dad would equate the winters there to a white, cold hell of death. We went up to Iowa in 2015 (travelled to Iowa all my life in the summers, which were hot) and remarked to him that it was really pretty there (and it is is pretty there, actually a bit hilly with rich farmland) and he went, spend the winter there! Where I come from in Memphis, it got cold and we did have some snow, but rarely necessitated a shoveling. But we got ice and sleet and shit which was bad if not worse, plus crappy drivers. Since my dad was from Iowa, I learned somewhat how to drive in it. We had a famous Ice Storm in 1994 which was so severe it snapped large tree limbs like twigs and it sounded like thunder. We heard it all night and looked outside around 5 AM and it was beautiful, looked liked the whole landscape in glass. Gorgeous. Problem was all those limbs broke power lines and most of the area was without power for up to a week. I would think Hangzhou would get this, but in my 16 years have never seem it. Winter here is weird. Sometimes it is cold, but not bad at all, and other years it if FUCKING FREEZING DEATH COLD. Two winters ago was like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JadeFaith said:

I have lived in Florida all my life.  I know I can survive the Hangzhou weather.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Lets come back to this message next year August shall we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, san5324 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Lets come back to this message next year August shall we?

Laugh all you want.  I have a job where I had to work OUTSIDE in August and in most of the elements.  HUMID AS HE'LL TO WHERE I AM MELTING.  I know I can handle the weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JadeFaith said:

Laugh all you want.  I have a job where I had to work OUTSIDE in August and in most of the elements.  HUMID AS HE'LL TO WHERE I AM MELTING.  I know I can handle the weather.

Let's see if you can handle the humidity of  96+ and a temp of 42 degrees celcius for a few weeks straight in hz .. Hell a few years ago it was so hot in China car tires were exploding because of the hot  streets in bj. 

Ow and add the air pollution in the mix.. Trust me this is a cocktail you have never tried before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, san5324 said:

Let's see if you can handle the humidity of  96+ and a temp of 42 degrees celcius for a few weeks straight in hz .. Hell a few years ago it was so hot in China car tires were exploding because of the hot  streets in bj. 

Ow and add the air pollution in the mix.. Trust me this is a cocktail you have never tried before. 

Challenge accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JadeFaith said:

Challenge accepted.

What challenge are you talking about?? I dont need to make a bet with newbies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this