Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
|Rain|

Coming to Hangzhou to study at Zhejiang Gongshang University

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm from Canada and i'm coming to HangZhou to study computer science and Tech at one of Hangzhou's University(ZheJiang Gongshang University) in Xiasha.

I could not find any reviews about this university, have you guys heard  anything about it?

The program should be in offered English, I already received the admission letter, but I'm worried that once I arrive they tell me that the computer science program(English taught) will not open due to insufficient applications.

Aside from that, do you guys have tips for surviving in Hangzhou? 

Thank you,

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.

Hi Rain.

Chill. Gongshang has been around for quite a while, and there's a lot of money invested in getting international students to come here. - especially Canadian!

HZ is a bit of an international student city, with LOTS of students coming here to study <cough> at a number of the universities here... including GongShang.

Xiasha is also university town, and has recently(-ish) opened up the metro through there to the city (unfortunately, it stops early :( )

Language is unlikely to be a huge problem... although obviously you won't be having long conversations for while (if at all). Shopping will be normal, and you'll rarely watch TV (use your laptop to download... almost anything!)

Arrange your access to FB and YT while you're in Canada, using a reliable one!

Oh, and first and most important thing to remember - Chinese public toilets rarely have toilet paper! So, ALWAYS carry those little packs of tissues around!

Also, stock up on whatever meds you need NOW (well, after you've asked what you can't get OTC here).

Deodorant doesn't exist here.... and today (like the last couple of weeks, and probably next couple of weeks) sucks! (though, fortunately, the humidity is down).

Hi Sainthood,

Thanks for the reply and tips/info.

Why I'm worried is because, I've also applied to NingBo University for computer sci.(English taught) and received their admission letter. But when I called them(spoke in chinese) to ask some about the course curriculum they started to ask me if I'm ok with chinese-taught class. In the end, they told me computer science program in english won't be offered because of lack of student applying for computer science. If I did not call, I probably will get the answer once I arrive which will be to late.

Most of the international student applies for language program or international trade/accounting or finance program. Very few applies for computer science taught in English. I just hope that when I arrive at the University they won't tell me that they only have Chinese courses for computer science and i have to deal with it. ='(

BTW about cellphone which one do you guys use? China Unicom , Telecom or China Mobile? And how much do you pay per month? They have so many plans on their website that my head is spinning...XD

I have some sort of déjà vou going on here.  About the last part,  it all depends what kind of phone you use. For example I uses HTC and only unicom could provide 3g, and later on 4g.

A VPN what Saint suggested have actually no point anymore due to the fact they all will be illegal coming February. 

I am probably going to buy a Xiaomi series smarphone when I arrive in China/Hangzhou, i use an iphone here in Canada but it's a pain in the ass when trying to transfer files using itune so i don't think i will be bringing apple product with me.

On 25/07/2017 at 5:33 AM, san5324 said:

A VPN what Saint suggested have actually no point anymore due to the fact they all will be illegal coming February. 

This sort of rumour has come and gone for years... it was brought up again... and then officially denied...

Get a good one...! Just in case. The one I use, and haven't really had problems with (mostly) is called... something I don't post in public, and that's probably why i don't have problems with it! (but, let's just say, I don't see it's name come up often!)

@Rain - about your course... Yeah, maybe.. but Ningbo is a LOT smaller than Hangzhou, and has FAR fewer international students! GongShang has LOTS of international students in general (though I'm not sure about Comp Sci).

Hi Rain,

We have students study different majors there, it would be no problem for them to open the course once they sent your admission letter. 

Enjoy your stay in hangzhou!

Sayhi Chinese

On 7/24/2017 at 4:45 AM, sainthood said:

<...>

Language is unlikely to be a huge problem... although obviously you won't be having long conversations for while (if at all). Shopping will be normal, and you'll rarely watch TV (use your laptop to download... almost anything!)

<...>

My VPN is making this extremely uncomfortable... any Chinese trackers or stream sites to watch English shows/ movies?

4 hours ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

My VPN is making this extremely uncomfortable... any Chinese trackers or stream sites to watch English shows/ movies?

I used bilibili a lot but everything is gone now. 

9 hours ago, sainthood said:

This sort of rumour has come and gone for years... it was brought up again... and then officially denied...

Get a good one...! Just in case. The one I use, and haven't really had problems with (mostly) is called... something I don't post in public, and that's probably why i don't have problems with it! (but, let's just say, I don't see it's name come up often!)

@Rain - about your course... Yeah, maybe.. but Ningbo is a LOT smaller than Hangzhou, and has FAR fewer international students! GongShang has LOTS of international students in general (though I'm not sure about Comp Sci).

Dude,  this time it is different. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/07/12/china-blocking-vpn/

50 minutes ago, sainthood said:

I could have easily got some other links but I'm sure u can't open them without a VPN.. And may I add duhhhhhh of course they will not say that they will do that till they actually will do that.  Let's see how it goes,  just need to wait a bit. 

12 hours ago, san5324 said:

I could have easily got some other links but I'm sure u can't open them without a VPN.. And may I add duhhhhhh of course they will not say that they will do that till they actually will do that.  Let's see how it goes,  just need to wait a bit. 

This is true... like always, wait and see....

Hi Rain,

I'm an international student planning to take the English language based undergraduate program, majoring in E-Commerce. It's kinda related to technology but its not as intense as computer science. I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this forum because I've been looking for a friend who's going there too!

To be honest, I'm a little bit concerned with the lack of reviews found about ZJGSU. Is it a good school? Anyone care to enlighten us? Does anyone know about the E-Commerce program and if its good?

any recommendations on official VPNs? Like is ExpressVPN good?

On 8/4/2017 at 2:57 PM, stargirl101 said:

Hi Rain,

I'm an international student planning to take the English language based undergraduate program, majoring in E-Commerce. It's kinda related to technology but its not as intense as computer science. I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this forum because I've been looking for a friend who's going there too!

To be honest, I'm a little bit concerned with the lack of reviews found about ZJGSU. Is it a good school? Anyone care to enlighten us? Does anyone know about the E-Commerce program and if its good?

any recommendations on official VPNs? Like is ExpressVPN good?

I did my own research using baidu and looking in the local Zhejiang gongshang University students forum but I could not find any useful information. Only information I found is that Gongshang is ranked #124 in China. Most popular/well known programs are Food Science, Statistics, E-comm, Economics and Law.

You can probably find some useful information in the link below: 

See you in Gongshang

Oh... Now, if you had've found us before accepting your offer, I think most of us would have suggested KeJi (ZUST)...

@Stargirl - we tend not to name and hamper about those topics.... the more well-known a service is, the more likely it is to be clamped down on!