Hangzhou Expat
Sign in to follow this  
JonKasimov

Your Thoughts on Living, Studying and Working in Hangzhou

I am Jon Kasimov, 27, and I will be starting my PhD at Zhejiang University this September. Since most of you guys have already experienced the ups and downs of living, working and studying in Hangzhou, I guess it would be wise to ask for your advice and suggestions. Can you guys please share some of your thoughts on living and studying in Hangzhou? I would very much appreciate your time and efforts and I do look forward to meeting you and becoming an active member of Hangzhou Expats group. Thanks very much. 

• Upvote 1

Be prepared for some really bad air, especially from Oct - Feb.  An average pm2 of 300 is normal during those days. All other days it is between the 80-150 range. 

There are many nice things also but the sucky thing is that the negative things quite often outweighs the positive ones. 

I am still grateful for all the happy times I had but I would be lying when I would say they were all sunshine and rainbows. 

@san5324 Thank you very much for sharing your opinion. I hope to see only the nicest things in Hangzhou. I assume that we always have to deal with the pros and cons of living in a new environment. I hope to get more thoughts from other members as well. 

Thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, JonKasimov said:

@san5324 Thank you very much for sharing your opinion. I hope to see only the nicest things in Hangzhou. I assume that we always have to deal with the pros and cons of living in a new environment. I hope to get more thoughts from other members as well. 

Thanks in advance. 

Also keep in mind no central heating in your house. When outside is cold, inside is cold and when outside is hot, inside is hot too due to no proper isolation. 

Prepare yourself mentally for the view of adults taking a shit outside and children pee and poo when and where they like.