Hungry_Hippo

Anyone else feel like you've become a worse person than you were before entering China?

36 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ivanoros87 said:

Oh belive me, even if you can speak the language you will be the alien. They usually try to put togheter some english words but when they realise you can speak chinese they won't try to communicate with you anymore. If you are in a group with other chineses you will hear someone suddenly say louder some english word like "OOOK" or "LET'S GO"  or  "PLIS PLIIIS" or also "SENKIU" etc etc

If you chinese is good enough they will ask you in this right order the following questions:

1 where you come from?

2 what are you doing here

If the answer at the second question is "i work here" or " i do some business here" they will try to investigate as best as they can on what you do.

After that end of the story no more talk.

It's normal, Aliens are aliens :) Just be able to speak the language doesn't mean aliens would become no aliens LOL 

well, I think Chinese they really stick together and their culture is really thick. Surely it's the same as the middle eastern culture, even the western as well. ( Americans - not much different! believe me, I am an American's wife) Really hard to break in, that's why I said I am ok to be a loner, they do not understand what I say in general it's fine as long as they understand what I ask for at the restaurant. 

another question they  always shoot after "Where you come from and what are you doing here", is - "how much you get paid?"

No privacy, welcome to the La La Land!:chuckle:

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.
1 hour ago, SiameseCat said:

...they do not understand what I say in general it's fine as long as they understand what I ask for at the restaurant. 

another question they  always shoot after "Where you come from and what are you doing here", is - "how much you get paid?"

I'm American and I know how hard it is to break into our clique :grin:.

But, woman, you just spoke my soul with "they do not understand what I say in general it's fine as long as they understand what I ask for at the restaurant."  I think the only time I'm offended is when my Chinese isn't understood is in restaurants.

If I'm asked what I'm paid, I answer "I make more than men do" (wo zhengde bi nanren duo) which shuts s*** down fast - like the whole line of questioning.  But, I suspect this only works for women. :grin:

17 hours ago, SiameseCat said:

It's normal, Aliens are aliens :) Just be able to speak the language doesn't mean aliens would become no aliens LOL 

well, I think Chinese they really stick together and their culture is really thick. Surely it's the same as the middle eastern culture, even the western as well. ( Americans - not much different! believe me, I am an American's wife) Really hard to break in, that's why I said I am ok to be a loner, they do not understand what I say in general it's fine as long as they understand what I ask for at the restaurant. 

No privacy, welcome to the La La Land!:chuckle:

Sad...

Go to Australia.... yes, there is racism (like, EVERYWHERE!).. but becoming an 'Aussie' isn't that hard. Not just getting the passport, but actually being accepted as one. Mostly because we don't give a shit where you come from originally (unless you're American .. or kiwi  :wink:)

58 minutes ago, sainthood said:

Sad...

Go to Australia.... yes, there is racism (like, EVERYWHERE!).. but becoming an 'Aussie' isn't that hard. Not just getting the passport, but actually being accepted as one. Mostly because we don't give a shit where you come from originally (unless you're American .. or kiwi  :wink:)

Sad but true, I was a working holidays maker in NZ and Australia after Europe, and before America. 

I found it s still quite hard to be accepted in kiwi and Aussie s society as well as German or Swedish and I do understand, people are afraid of stuff they do not know and it might be our fish sause LOL . Asian like us still stick together, hanging around Thai restaurants, I do have good kiwi friends and also Aussies. But, yeah I know what you mean, as long as we say Giddy Mate we can get Aussie smile at us, and just say "sweet as!" Kiwi will think we r cool.

But to get them to ask us out to join their house party? Or even get the ride with car pool is harder, I never get success whenever I tried to hitchhike in the kiwiland or even Kangkarooland :chuckle:

23 minutes ago, SiameseCat said:

I never get success whenever I tried to hitchhike in the kiwiland or even Kangkarooland :chuckle:

If you google backpacker murders in Aus, you might not want to hitch, just sayin'

8 hours ago, Ding2go said:

If you google backpacker murders in Aus, you might not want to hitch, just sayin'

Oh yeah, when I was in Auckland, there was a UK girl was killed on the street and she also was a backpacker staying at the hostel near mine.I was a bit scared to hitchhike, but I tried when there another 3 friends wanted to do together. 

I did it once in Turkey, and it was okay. I tried in NZ and Aus, nobody picked up! NO LUCK LOL

On Fri Sep 08 2017 at 1:50 PM, fionnfionn said:

You forgot about 3, 4, and 5:

3. Are you married?

4. Do you have kids?

5. How much do you make?

Do you like Chinese food?-Uh, no, it tastes like garbage and I miss real food from home.....

To be fair, when I was in Korea, I was asked numerous times if I were married (I was around 32 then). They thought it was really weird that I wasn't married and extolled me to do so. I even made friends with a manager of a convenience store near my workplace and when I told him I was going to leave, he told me not to return until I was married.

yeah... I can't believe how people will tell you (demand!) of someone that they need to get married!!! Especially with the vast numbers of unhappy relationships, and the ver growing rates of divorce!

Like it's ANY of their business what I (you) do with my life!!! Or tell me what's supposed to be important!

2 hours ago, Popcorn Sutton said:

I even made friends with a manager of a convenience store near my workplace and when I told him I was going to leave, he told me not to return until I was married.

Lol, I'm hoping he was kidding. Unmarried people are very much an oddity in Korea, just like China and Japan. A shame, really. 

Saint, read your longer post just now.  I feel you on a handful of points.  I get a little disgusted with myself sometimes, at how quick I am to generalize.  And yet, time and again, people reaffirm the the reputations/stereotypes/etc...  Then there's the frustrations of having a balanced discussion, about say politics.  On a date recently, I said I didn't like "Wolf Warrior 2" (or 1) and the lady's reply was: "It made billions in the box office, how can it be bad?" Sigh.  Alright.  

So, I feel like the voice and reasoning I've developed for so long is shut up here.  I'm not opposed to all things Chinese -not by a long shot.   But I don't want to be scolded for having something to drink with my meal, or doing light exercise to sweat/cough out the remnants of a lingering chest cold.  No doubt it goes both ways - foreigners are quick to prescribe, and America is the classic example of the last century of imposing its will without taking much consideration for anyone else.

To blend with what Hippo and some others were saying, it gets hard to trust people.  Haven't met so many Chinese that really cared to just pass time with me.  They want English lessons, an actor for an advertisement, translations, help with university admissions, a mix-raced baby, etc.  

And then I start going around with this chip on my shoulder.  It's not good.  But it also gets me by without feeling disappointed.  I get to where I need to be and spend the time with the people I feel are worthwhile.    I try my best to give people a chance first, but I just know to be weary and watch for signs.

All of this said, it's really important to keep finding the pleasures of daily life.  I think for me that means, designing a life that has growth and challenges (your career, learning Chinese...), but also time to enjoy easy going activities (coffee and book, watch a football match, bike ride...).

Be well guys!