Hangzhou Expat
Hungry_Hippo

Anyone else feel like you've become a worse person than you were before entering China?

17 minutes ago, sainthood said:

I certainly agree that it's a good example of the perjorative definition of what SJW is to many conservatives (and, unfortunately, it is true for some wankers out there... your link above about the job interview... I understand, but seriously hope there aren't people like that in the world!)

The job interview was satire dude :P but there are many many many people like that.

2 minutes ago, san5324 said:

The job interview was satire dude :P but there are many many many people like that.

Satire?

Really??

Crap!!!

I thought it was a REAL interview!!!!!

Bastards!

2 hours ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

Sometimes I wish I didn't know what a SJW is... God damn, putting MLK or Gandhi in the same paragraph, let alone category... god.damn.

Exactly. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

Sometimes I wish I didn't know what a SJW is... God damn, putting MLK or Gandhi in the same paragraph, let alone category... god.damn.

Apparently you don't...

As clearly explained above, the term has become a negative in more recent years by those who don't like some of them. And, thus, you don't seem to know the real term means... which would include the likes of Gandhi and MLK.

40 minutes ago, sainthood said:

Apparently you don't...

As clearly explained above, the term has become a negative in more recent years by those who don't like some of them. And, thus, you don't seem to know the real term means... which would include the likes of Gandhi and MLK.

First, let's appreciate the irony of calling someone who preached non-violence a "warrior" :) as for MLK -most people who would be called (or even self-identified as) a SJW are racists :) 

Yes, it may have meant something else in the past. But today the meaning and use are completely opposite. The times change and language transforms with it - many words used to have a different meaning in the past. I agree MLK and the like can be called SJW given a quick definition by what SJW means (and taken into account the historical context).

if it makes sense, SJW is less of a literal interpretation of the words "Social Justice Warrior" and more of a way to describe a specific type of behavior (already discussed). 

4 minutes ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

First, let's appreciate the irony of calling someone who preached non-violence a "warrior" :) as for MLK -most people who would be called (or even self-identified as) a SJW are racists :) 

That wouldn't surprise me.... justice for us, not justice for all...

Also... most SJWs aren't violent, and preach non-violence...

5 minutes ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

Yes, it may have meant something else in the past. But today the meaning and use are completely opposite. The times change and language transforms with it - many words used to have a different meaning in the past. I agree MLK and the like can be called SJW given a quick definition by what SJW means (and taken into account the historical context).

"In the past" is only a couple of years ago... and SOME take it to have a negative connotation -= namely, those who are against such ideals! As I wrote above - it's the conservatives who hate having to accept another way of being that turned the term into a negative. NOT all those who actually agree with their ideals and policies. That is - YOU use the term as a negative, I (and others) don't. As much as it'd be nice if everyone just conformed to any one particular view of the world, that ain't gonna happen any time soon...

8 minutes ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

if it makes sense, SJW is less of a literal interpretation of the words "Social Justice Warrior" and more of a way to describe a specific type of behavior (already discussed). 

If that's the way you need to justify it - go ahead! But, many people who are actually out there trying to bring about particular changes (particularly for those not including themselves) will still be using that term to refer to themselves. (well, accept it as such).

2 hours ago, sainthood said:

That wouldn't surprise me.... justice for us, not justice for all...

Also... most SJWs aren't violent, and preach non-violence...

"In the past" is only a couple of years ago... and SOME take it to have a negative connotation -= namely, those who are against such ideals! As I wrote above - it's the conservatives who hate having to accept another way of being that turned the term into a negative. NOT all those who actually agree with their ideals and policies. That is - YOU use the term as a negative, I (and others) don't. As much as it'd be nice if everyone just conformed to any one particular view of the world, that ain't gonna happen any time soon...

If that's the way you need to justify it - go ahead! But, many people who are actually out there trying to bring about particular changes (particularly for those not including themselves) will still be using that term to refer to themselves. (well, accept it as such).

"sjw's" are disliked for their style of discourse and attempts to control it, rather than their actual politics. things like "shaming" their opponents, throwing words like "racism" and "misogyny" indiscriminately, and generally going out of their way to find insignificant things to be offended out about in lieu of actual social issues that need attention. it's what separates sjw's (as a pejorative) from actual proponents of social justice.

46 minutes ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

"sjw's" are disliked for their style of discourse and attempts to control it, rather than their actual politics. things like "shaming" their opponents, throwing words like "racism" and "misogyny" indiscriminately, and generally going out of their way to find insignificant things to be offended out about in lieu of actual social issues that need attention. it's what separates sjw's (as a pejorative) from actual proponents of social justice.

Exactly.. Just like this fat burrito. 

https://youtu.be/CwbLtgva1dk

Again - you're both only referring to a negative connotation of the term that has been put in place by conservative elements as a backlash to legitimate political stances (that they can't actually defend against).

I asked San some posts before - what term to you use for those who legitimately fight against social injustices? No response! You've had the wool pulled over your eyes! You guys now see any attempts to right wrongs at a societal level as negative, and anyone who tries to do so (idealists) as 'SJWs' with the negative connotation!

Social engineering project successful!

(see also "Doublespeak" and "Doublethink")

1 hour ago, sainthood said:

Again - you're both only referring to a negative connotation of the term that has been put in place by conservative elements as a backlash to legitimate political stances (that they can't actually defend against).

I asked San some posts before - what term to you use for those who legitimately fight against social injustices? No response! You've had the wool pulled over your eyes! You guys now see any attempts to right wrongs at a societal level as negative, and anyone who tries to do so (idealists) as 'SJWs' with the negative connotation!

Social engineering project successful!

(see also "Doublespeak" and "Doublethink")

Legitimate fighting for the good cause = not a sjw.  Warrior in this situation is as sarcastic as keyboard warriors. I can't think of a word for someone fighting the good cause. Sjw = negative. 

On Fri Sep 08 2017 at 1:50 PM, fionnfionn said:

You forgot about 3, 4, and 5:

3. Are you married?

4. Do you have kids?

5. How much do you make?

Do you like Chinese food?-Uh, no, it tastes like garbage and I miss real food from home.....

To be fair, when I was in Korea, I was asked numerous times if I were married (I was around 32 then). They thought it was really weird that I wasn't married and extolled me to do so. I even made friends with a manager of a convenience store near my workplace and when I told him I was going to leave, he told me not to return until I was married.

Hah. I am from the American South. We are the nicest fakest people on the planet so it is always good to, at the minimum, to acknowledge someone and respond to a gesture of hello. I have found that not to be the case here but also when I spent a month in Europe last Summer as well so I can't say the Chinese are worse than Europeans/tourists in that aspect. 

I have not met many Chinese that I would trust or consider a friend. I have a Scottish friend who was charged 68 yuan for a 45 minute lesson, an American friend who was charged 85 yuan and I was charged 89 yuan. I have no idea why the discrepancy in prices. This was all from the same national. Most offers of lunch or dinner boil down to English lessons. I had one lady tell me that no it was not a job she was trying to get for me but I would be teaching her, her children and her children's classmates for money. Apparently, that is not the definition of a job over here. 

As far as being black, the number one question is whether I am from Africa or not? I was able to recognize the hanwen for it pretty quick. Haha. I have utilize TanTan for a lot of conversations and have found not to ask them if they understand English which is usually an immediate unmatch or to just assume that if they are over 25 that they are married with at least one kid. You can be asked a bunch of questions but as soon as you ask a few, they tend to clam up or disregard your question. 

I like it here. You can smoke, spit and shoot snot rockets just about anywhere. You can  burp and fart in public with no need to say excuse me. You can cut line as much as you like as long as there is a space. It is a greedy, manipulative and petty society but it is home for the next few years and I enjoy it.