Sign in to follow this  
EmilyGamble

Settling In

Hi there! 

My name is Emily and I recently moved to Hangzhou from New Orleans, LA. It is my first time in China and my first time teaching high school, so it has been an overwhelming first week! I have a place near the Coach Center metro station and am looking for fun things to do and ways to meet friends in my area. Also, I'm looking for a place to take Chinese lessons. Let me know if you have any wisdom to share, or want to explore the city together! 

Best,

Emily 

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.
On 9.9.2017 at 6:59 AM, EmilyGamble said:

Hi there! 

My name is Emily and I recently moved to Hangzhou from New Orleans, LA. It is my first time in China and my first time teaching high school, so it has been an overwhelming first week! I have

also moving soon to hangzhou will appreciate to know if you found a please for learning chinese lessons : )

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Hangzhou Weekly

The “Made in China” Anti-Tour for Expats Visiting Hangzhou
    Posted on Wednesday October 12, 2016

Posted on Friday July 08, 2016

Publishing my first book
    Posted on Friday June 17, 2016

49 schools to be set up in next 3 years in Jianggan
    Posted on Monday June 13, 2016

Kissing Cultures
    Posted on Thursday June 09, 2016

• I need an English teacher from US, Canada, England or Austrilia for my 2-year-old son, using native English to talk and play with him 1 or 2 times per week. We are in XiaoHeShan, close to Zhejiang University of Science and Technology.
    • Hi Samz, I’m Sheikh. I’m interested to this this job. I’m well experienced with teaching English to Chinese kids. If you’re interested then I can provide details about me. 
    • Looking for a part time English teacher to teach a girl in bingjiang on weekend for one or two hours, preferably from english speaking country or Europre. If anyone is interested please PM me.
    • I want to share some experience about buying photo equipment. I work temporarily in Hangzhou. I have a Nikon D750, full frame, with zooms and I wanted to buy fixed lenses for that camera, in particular 20mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.4. If possible, I was looking for second hand lenses. As I had spent some time last year in Guangzhou and Hong-Kong, I knew the places there where it is possible to buy second-hand lenses. In Hong-Kong, I was guided by a Chinese photographer to go to the place in Kowloon where all photo shops are located in the same building. Lots of equipment but prices were rather high. I found a Nikkor zoom 80-200mm f.4 in excellent condition. Then I went to Guangzhou where there is a small district with all photo shops. Again, I was accompanied by a Chinese photographer and there I bought a Nikkor zoom 16-35mm at a very good price and the prices were neatly lower than in Hong-Kong. I could have saved 1000RMB on my Nikkor zoom 80-200mm f.4. Now, what about Hangzhou. I went to 128 Qiutao North where you can find second-hand equipment. I was relatively deceived, not so many Nikkor lenses, but a 85mm f1.4 at 7500 RMB. I decided to go to Shanghai to see. Apparently, according to www.olegnovikov.com, it is interesting. After having found with some difficulty Huanlong Department Store, No. 360 Meiyuan Road, I went there and was deceived by the choice, not as large as I expected from a large city. I found several 85mm f1.4, including one at 7000 RMB in excellent condition, thus compared to Hangzhou, the difference was low (if you take into account travel, hotel expenses especially). Prices can be very little discussed. I decided to go to Shanghai Xingguang Photo Gear Mall, No. 288 Luban Road, where you find all new equipment and as I had not found the 20mm and 35mm as second-hand, I decided to buy them new. In reality, at least not being a Chinese, the prices can be very little discussed again and they differ very little from Hangzhou.  Philosophy: the best place in my opinion was Guangzhou. Otherwise, you can find your equipment in Hangzhou in specialized shops, it is not worth going outside to gain very little. Last but not least: do not forget to make pictures.
    • Hello, Just an update. I am still looking for a place starting in early December.  If anyone has any leads on a place, please let me know.  Thanks!