Question

Dear all,

I moved to Hangzhou couple of days ago as an international student in the Zhejiang University. My title says it all. As a gym freak, I am really concerned regarding my nutrition since I could not find any protein powder, BCAAS, vitamins and pre-workout around the city. Even If I am a girl, I have been working out the past 2.5 years and I really do not want to lose what I have been building so long. Some of you might laugh but once you start there is no way back and I think everyone who is working out can say the same. 

Another thing I wanted to ask is if you know a good place that I could buy meat, if that is near Zhejiang University would be even better.

Please if you have any advice I would be more than excited to read it. 

Thanks in advance!

21 answers to this question

Speaking of chicken filled with hormones, do you don't eat it at all or you never eat more than a specific amount?

I am trying to eat more beans (chickbeans, soya beans, fava etc) to supply the right quantity of daily  protein but i still love to eat chicken...

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.

We order both salmon and chicken online from reputable ( Yeah I know) vendors for safer protein. I was vegetarian for over 10 years and vegan on/off during that time. I'll never go back. 

Ali is getting into direct to customer grocery and will supposedly have a fairly solid supply chain. They'll be in HZ soon. That will likely be a good option for safer meats and veggies.

Check out spiritnu.com. We buy our protein powder from there and the prices are comparable to what we're used to in America. 

As far as meat, is there any problem why you can't buy it from the local Century Mart/Wumart/Walmart?

Also, you never mentioned which Zheda you're at. There are several campuses. 

Fair enough. I will check it out then, thanks! I'm at Yuquan Campus. Well I have been to Century Mart but I was not very satisfied from the first glance. Being from Greece and having nearly my own farm (my granma's farm) is quite hard to judge the products. I will check this three out again. Thank you very much :D 

2 minutes ago, Chelioudaki Eirini-Maria said:

Fair enough. I will check it out then, thanks! I'm at Yuquan Campus. Well I have been to Century Mart but I was not very satisfied from the first glance. Being from Greece and having nearly my own farm (my granma's farm) is quite hard to judge the products. I will check this three out again. Thank you very much :D 

Yeah, sorry, China has really shit meat, as far as quality goes. The beef is terrible, the chicken has been shot up with hormones and the pork will likely leave you with trichinosis :/ 

Best advice I can give you as someone who is married to a weight-trainer, I hope you like eggs. It's the most economical way for you to get your protein. 

Hey I always used this website http://www.bbasupplements.com/default.html.  The owner sean is a stand-up dude. No fake shit. I always ordered "on gold standard whey chocolate protein". I still use that brand here back home.  I guess delivery fee is like 30kuai if I remember correctly and it would be there in like 3 a 4 days. 

31 minutes ago, fionnfionn said:

Yeah, sorry, China has really shit meat, as far as quality goes. The beef is terrible, the chicken has been shot up with hormones and the pork will likely leave you with trichinosis :/ 

Best advice I can give you as someone who is married to a weight-trainer, I hope you like eggs. It's the most economical way for you to get your protein. 

And the salmon is expensive as hell in hangzhou, it's not even funny lol. 

49 minutes ago, ivanoros87 said:

Speaking of chicken filled with hormones, do you don't eat it at all or you never eat more than a specific amount?

I am trying to eat more beans (chickbeans, soya beans, fava etc) to supply the right quantity of daily  protein but i still love to eat chicken...

I try to avoid eating meat , but it's so hard to trust any food . If it's not the meat, then it's the rice or the beans or fruit...food safety is almost nonexistent. 

Yeah i know... About the rice i usually buy no OGM imported from (since 2y ago there was no option for no OGM rice in the whole country) Thailand or i buy the brown rice or similar things.

About the fruit as the meat is like a roulette you will never know what are you eating. :sweating:

I guess its the kind known in english as brown rice but i'm not sure. If so, i ilke it. Did you bought in normal supermarket or online?

5 hours ago, ivanoros87 said:

I guess its the kind known in english as brown rice but i'm not sure. If so, i ilke it. Did you bought in normal supermarket or online?

Yeah I bought it in the normal  supermarket, no its not like brown rice. It is a bit harder. U need to add double the water as white rice when you cook it and after it finish I always let it in the cooker for 15 more minutes. I always bought it in wumart.

I'm a student at Zhejiang university too that just recently arrived.. it's been just over a week and I've lost some serious gains. My protein intake here is nonexistent.

7 hours ago, Mushyd said:

I'm a student at Zhejiang university too that just recently arrived.. it's been just over a week and I've lost some serious gains. My protein intake here is nonexistent.

Check the link I posted up a bit higher. 

21 hours ago, Mushyd said:

this is actually a big problem for me as well... Maybe we can have a new topic or discuss here about good (safe?)  protein sources in HZ? I read labels but I really REALLY doubt they are accurate - and then the protein content is super low... Back home we had protein yoghurts, cottage cheese, milk, protein cereals... 

Chicken breast is cheep in HZ. you need to cook it yourself though. Don't know a single place that offers chicken breast as the main course...

Some of those dumplings claim to have 7-9g of protein per 100g. Easy to prepare. Makes you constipated though...

Peanut butter - local PB is cheap and has around 22-25 g protein per 100g. Good for making a snack - PBJ.

Tofu - multiple varieties. Not a big fan.  But a good and available option.

Eggs - not too expensive. just boil them.

The problem is - it will most likely (depends on what you buy) be more expensive to buy food and prepare it at home than to go to a local diner. Which is ridiculous. I go to those open buffet places where you can choose what you want to eat. Usually ends up costing around 20RMB per meal. 

Hello to everyone again. 

I actually wanted to update my status for all of you regarding my 'nonexistent' protein powder. I did actually checked http://spiritnu.com/ and did bought the double chocolate protein powder (2kg) and BCAA's.  It cost me 490yuan and it took 2 days to be delivered outside Zhejiang University, on the gate of the new bridge. To be honest, it is not the most tasty protein I have ever had but the quality is much much better than what I thought it would be, the same for BCAA's. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that BCAA's are really bad in taste.

From a nutritional point of you though, the protein that I bought is probably much more healthier than the ones I buy in UK, the only difference is that in UK the protein per scoop is 25gr whereas in the one I've got is 23gr. You guys have to check it out!  The whole process was quite easy, and the cost is not sooo expensive. Better 23gr of protein than nothing. 

In case you have a problem feel free to text me on my wechat: eirinimaria , please write that you are from the forum so I can accept you. 

I always use On Gold Standard whey protein and it is exactly the one I use to buy in China (the link is a few posts up) and in Holland. By far the best protein I ever had in my life. It breaks down real easy in my shaker and tastes real nice in the blender with INM milk and a banana.

Yep, can't argue there -ON Gold is the best protein out there. It's been dominating the top10 supplements rating on bb.com for many years... The only better tasting protein I ever had was BSN Syntha 6... but that is loaded with sugar and sweeteners.

However the price is a real deal breaker for me. If taste isn't an issue and you want to get the biggest bang for your buck - look up doorlab. they to supplement testing and reviews. You'll see that Myprotein products are dominating the ratings. I've used Myprotein for many years - the taste is actually good (chocolate smooth), the stuff dissolves well (especially in water).

Myprotein have an online store for Chinese users... in Chinese. And the prices are higher than on the uk site. 

If you have the money and can afford it - buy ON Gold Standard. Hands down. If you're a cheap fuck like yours truly - look around for the best deal.

As far as quality goes- get protein isolate. This will help tremendously if you're having gas problems.

1 hour ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

Yep, can't argue there -ON Gold is the best protein out there. It's been dominating the top10 supplements rating on bb.com for many years... The only better tasting protein I ever had was BSN Syntha 6... but that is loaded with sugar and sweeteners.

However the price is a real deal breaker for me. If taste isn't an issue and you want to get the biggest bang for your buck - look up doorlab. they to supplement testing and reviews. You'll see that Myprotein products are dominating the ratings. I've used Myprotein for many years - the taste is actually good (chocolate smooth), the stuff dissolves well (especially in water).

Myprotein have an online store for Chinese users... in Chinese. And the prices are higher than on the uk site. 

If you have the money and can afford it - buy ON Gold Standard. Hands down. If you're a cheap fuck like yours truly - look around for the best deal.

As far as quality goes- get protein isolate. This will help tremendously if you're having gas problems.

With delivery the price was not more expensive than 470 i guess. Would be delivered in 2 or 3 days. The owner Shaun is a real stand up dude and does not cheat people. He is from the philepines.

1 hour ago, san5324 said:

With delivery the price was not more expensive than 470 i guess. Would be delivered in 2 or 3 days. The owner Shaun is a real stand up dude and does not cheat people. He is from the philepines.

I just checked on that site - ON Gold is 530 for 5lbs + delivery. But it's not THAT more expensive than ordering from myprotein. So, I guess it's worth it.

On 9/19/2017 at 1:25 PM, Chelioudaki Eirini-Maria said:

Hello to everyone again. 

I actually wanted to update my status for all of you regarding my 'nonexistent' protein powder. I did actually checked http://spiritnu.com/ and did bought the double chocolate protein powder (2kg) and BCAA's.  It cost me 490yuan and it took 2 days to be delivered outside Zhejiang University, on the gate of the new bridge. To be honest, it is not the most tasty protein I have ever had but the quality is much much better than what I thought it would be, the same for BCAA's. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that BCAA's are really bad in taste.

<...>

If you bought powder BCAA - scoop it with a spoon, straight into your mouth and wash it down with water. The least cruel method. BCAAs are supposed to have a very bitter taste, even in pill form.

19 minutes ago, Hungry_Hippo said:

I just checked on that site - ON Gold is 530 for 5lbs + delivery. But it's not THAT more expensive than ordering from myprotein. So, I guess it's worth it.

If you bought powder BCAA - scoop it with a spoon, straight into your mouth and wash it down with water. The least cruel method. BCAAs are supposed to have a very bitter taste, even in pill form.

Oh crap you are right... Sorry about that :(.