Hangzhou Expat
Sign in to follow this  
Sunflower2017

Anti-pollution face masks?

My family will be coming to Hangzhou in the near future, and one of my husband's Chinese co-workers mentioned to him that we should purchase anti-pollution masks here in the U.S. What specifications should I look for? Any particular brands you recommend? Is this something "everyone" wears in Hangzhou?

Thanks for any advice!

3 hours ago, Sunflower2017 said:

My family will be coming to Hangzhou in the near future, and one of my husband's Chinese co-workers mentioned to him that we should purchase anti-pollution masks here in the U.S. What specifications should I look for? Any particular brands you recommend? Is this something "everyone" wears in Hangzhou?

Thanks for any advice!

We used 3M masks last year which were decent but this year I bought Cambridge masks and they work really well and are reasonably priced. You can buy them from Amazon or directly from their website for more options. https://cambridgemask.com/ Oh and they ship to China if you need to replace them before you go back home. :)

4 hours ago, Sunflower2017 said:

? Is this something "everyone" wears in Hangzhou?

It is something almost no one wears in Hangzhou, though of course some would argue it is a must, but...............................

I was having this conversation with several fellow masters students in one of my bio labs a few years ago back in the US. Because of the level of pollution, lets say in a city like Beijing, even surgical mask wouldn't be of much use for longer than 1 hour. These websites always show these wonderful air mask but they never mention their limits because they are never really tested in environments that have air pollution scales greater than 500+ for days at a time. 

In my opinion, I think they are useless after 24 hours in a beijing like smog. I'll give you a week in the zhou when the whole week is over 200.

To add to this, I looked at the official test results....the filters were tested for 1 hour and the bacterial/viral filter for 4 hours, lol. I'm not trying to knock em,but I don't think an hour of having a useful filter is going to make that much of a difference. Better to have an air filter in your room and get some lung cleansing through the night as you sleep. 

I used this brand http://respro.com/store/product/city-mask

You could use it for a month, if you only used it for like 2 hours a day when u were outside. 

Xiaomi air purifier 2 is the one I used in my home. You can connect it with your wifi and download the app on your phone. This way you can check out the level on your phone when you are on your your way home and put it on in advance. 

BTW winter is coming, so pm2 will be high,  like 400+. http://aqicn.org/city/hangzhou/ check out this link for actual numbers. 

25 minutes ago, Dan.Tan said:

What? If you smoke, why the heck do you care about air pollution?

Because one day in bj equals 48 cigarettes. So yeah even if you smoke you would be smart to think about that. 

And besides Danny boy, where does it shows that they smoke? 

4 hours ago, san5324 said:

I used this brand http://respro.com/store/product/city-mask

You could use it for a month, if you only used it for like 2 hours a day when u were outside. 

BTW winter is coming, so pm2 will be high,  like 400+.

Um...your air mask says its for PM10....which its why its called a city mask, for car exhaust..this mask isn't doing shit for pm2.5 buddy, lol.

Well, if you are from Murica, then try Alen Paralda, that device is pretty good. 

Don't trust Xiaomi. Of course, it's always good to get one more.

Check the link: https://www.amazon.com/Alen-Paralda-Purifier-Allergies-Bacteria/dp/B06X6GC2C6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507201326&sr=8-3&keywords=alen+paralda

Other suggestions, buy aloe vera, say  at least 10 pots of aloe vera in your flat, and also a led light special for plants. Keep windows shut throughout the winter. True, it's imperative to outlive others who live nearby.

1 hour ago, BluePasta said:

Um...your air mask says its for PM10....which its why its called a city mask, for car exhaust..this mask isn't doing shit for pm2.5 buddy, lol.

Crap then it is the wrong one, it just looked like that.. it was 100%  for pm2.5

1 hour ago, BluePasta said:

found it. https://world.taobao.com/item/35674676619.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a230r.1.14.82.240b10acZMPiZM&ns=1&abbucket=14#detail   RZ mask.

• Upvote 1