Corriou

Photography equipment

I want to share some experience about buying photo equipment. I work temporarily in Hangzhou.

I have a Nikon D750, full frame, with zooms and I wanted to buy fixed lenses for that camera, in particular 20mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.4. If possible, I was looking for second hand lenses. As I had spent some time last year in Guangzhou and Hong-Kong, I knew the places there where it is possible to buy second-hand lenses. In Hong-Kong, I was guided by a Chinese photographer to go to the place in Kowloon where all photo shops are located in the same building. Lots of equipment but prices were rather high. I found a Nikkor zoom 80-200mm f.4 in excellent condition. Then I went to Guangzhou where there is a small district with all photo shops. Again, I was accompanied by a Chinese photographer and there I bought a Nikkor zoom 16-35mm at a very good price and the prices were neatly lower than in Hong-Kong. I could have saved 1000RMB on my Nikkor zoom 80-200mm f.4. Now, what about Hangzhou. I went to 128 Qiutao North where you can find second-hand equipment. I was relatively deceived, not so many Nikkor lenses, but a 85mm f1.4 at 7500 RMB. I decided to go to Shanghai to see. Apparently, according to www.olegnovikov.com, it is interesting. After having found with some difficulty Huanlong Department Store, No. 360 Meiyuan Road, I went there and was deceived by the choice, not as large as I expected from a large city. I found several 85mm f1.4, including one at 7000 RMB in excellent condition, thus compared to Hangzhou, the difference was low (if you take into account travel, hotel expenses especially). Prices can be very little discussed. I decided to go to Shanghai Xingguang Photo Gear Mall, No. 288 Luban Road, where you find all new equipment and as I had not found the 20mm and 35mm as second-hand, I decided to buy them new. In reality, at least not being a Chinese, the prices can be very little discussed again and they differ very little from Hangzhou. 

Philosophy: the best place in my opinion was Guangzhou. Otherwise, you can find your equipment in Hangzhou in specialized shops, it is not worth going outside to gain very little.

Last but not least: do not forget to make pictures.

• Like 1

Looking for a job ? The job is looking for you too !  Please UPLOAD/BUILD your resume first → HERE.

Hi @Corriou, i have nikon D7000 and I bought 35mm nikkor lens from taobao its also second hand and I'm using from last year its doesn't have any problem it was 850 yuan I think I remember like that so you can check also taobao and if you want to go to like store you can go 百脑汇 (bainaohui) its technology store you can find computer phone camera second hand and new one directly. mm location is maybe you know basement bar&club its same building basement under the bainaohui technology store. 

Hi brkdlkrn, Thank you for this information. I asked for information about these second-hand shops around me but no one knew anything except Qiuatobeilu. It is good to have more information.

• Like 1

You are welcome,I mean you can also find in BAINAOHUI 百脑汇 its near by Zhejiang university yuquan campus. they have second hand shops in there.