Hangzhou Expat
Hungry_Hippo

problem with wechat group

As you have clearly noticed - barely anyone posts in the forum anymore. You have 1-3 guys covering the topics, some that aren't even in HZ anymore... 42k+ members and hardly manage 20 comments a day (NOT THREADS). 

As you might also know - the owner of hzexpat is pushing away from the forum and on to another platform - wechat. The hzexpat wechat group is quite more active and you can get an instant response. It's also the only place where Jake posts articles (like 2-3 a day) on what is happening in HZ or any relative news.

I don't think this a good thing really. First of, wechat groups are limited to 500 users. at the moment, there are 450. If Jake decided to clean up and kick inactive users, maybe that can go down to 300. That means there's enough space for 200 users (at best). So it is a very limited space.

Second, wechat groups are exclusive - you can't see posts or post, unless you are invited. That sucks for people NOT in HZ doing their research before coming here. All the info that gets posted on the group chat never makes it to the HZexpat forums. EVER. And they share some good info...

Third, wechat group means members are even less likely to visit a forum or post on it, which leads to less discussion and less willingness to post and visit the forum... you get the idea and where this is going.

With the way things are going and if nothing changes, I think the forum will just die. It's already very sluggish. I think it's better to have the info posted on the forum for everyone to see and revisit the threads with updates, rather than picking out nibbles of wisdom from a chatroom.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try to bring traffic to this forum from wechat,  I am thinking about it.

18 hours ago, Jake said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try to bring traffic to this forum from wechat,  I am thinking about it.

That will not happen. For one, it's much more convenient asking people in the group questions and getting a rapid response. For people in HZ wechat is the better option hands down: it's on your phone, it's amongst all other chats you have going on... 

However, for newcomers this is not good. Best they can hope, 2-3 people have the time to help them out on the forum... for me this was a very useful tool when preparing to come here. 

I suggest making a few threads and sticking them at the top about the basics living in HZ. And just update those every 3-4 months. 

5 hours ago, ivanoros87 said:

May i know the Wechat group and how to add my self in? I have Jake among my contacts but not the group. Thank you.

Will invite you to the group.

others who also would like to join, please make sure you introduced yourself at the New Member's forum, then add my wechat, the ID is whasupinhangzhou. will then invite you to the group.

hangzhouexpat-wechat.jpg.88425dd2650471eb00e8138168bfdc62.jpg

Totally agree!

Social life should be diverse with more cool platforms.

Already tired of massive information on Wechat...too much to read all of them!