Hangzhou Expat
Sign in to follow this  
Popcorn Sutton

Schools raided for illegal teachers, does it happen here?

Hello.

I work part time at a training center like school teaching the little kids, from about 3 to 12. I do my thing there, and there are about six or seven other people there doing the same thing. One of the teachers is here on a business visa. I have told him and he knows that this is illegal and he can get into a lot of trouble of caught, if all the horror stories are seemingly true. Big fine, deportation. Deportation would suck for this guy because he has a brother or family member in another major city.

I have told the boss lady the same thing. You shouldn't hire teachers like this, it will bite you in the ass. She is Chinese and won't listen to a foreigner, and again what I read is on the Internet, but places like Beijing and Guangzhou do raids periodically. I have never heard of raids in Hangzhou. I personally can't think of why many people would want to work full time making maybe 10,000 a month, and then have to shell out 3500-4000 for an apartment, so basically working 20-25 hours a week for 6000 after housing chasing little kids about, and then having to save for airfare home or worse, on visa runs dealing with the government and why one is constantly in and out on business visas playing a game.

Has Hangzhou ever had school raids? I have never heard of it.

The answer is Yes! It is not as rare as you would think. The FEB have a new department in Hangzhou dedicated to checking on the legality of teachers etc. At present they seem to be looking at proper schools (They were at ours about a month ago) but will turn their attentions to training schools eventually. In the past teachers from DD Dragon or what ever its called have been deported as well as from a couple of outfits that no longer exist. 

35 minutes ago, Ivy International School said:

The answer is Yes! It is not as rare as you would think. The FEB have a new department in Hangzhou dedicated to checking on the legality of teachers etc. At present they seem to be looking at proper schools (They were at ours about a month ago) but will turn their attentions to training schools eventually. In the past teachers from DD Dragon or what ever its called have been deported as well as from a couple of outfits that no longer exist. 

I highly doubt this (in terms of it occurring frequently). The only stories I have heard of training centers getting raided (not in Hangzhou) were when companies stopped bribing the police. I think Disney English had a big issue a couple years ago. A pseudo-international school would probably be a good place for them to begin fishing for bribes.

6 hours ago, stevieblueeyes said:

highly doubt this (in terms of it occurring frequently).

Doubt what you like but you are clearly speaking of things you don't know  - For example Disney in Hangzhou was closed as the visa their staff had were done in Shanghai and not at the registered school in Hangzhou (although this was a matter of the local Hangzhou gov making a point)- a lot of small training centres have got away with a lot of hiring students etc I was merely pointing out that some do get caught and its something that there is increased vigilance over since the change in visa rules and the new section of the FEB but you go ahead and believe what you want.