Hangzhou Expat
TheSpilster

Coming in July

Hey everyone. Introducing myself here. Im Rob, 26, will be moving to Hángzhōu at the end of July to start a new job teaching at a new school. Looking forward to exploring everything on offer. Moving across the world is really taking me out of my comfort zone but thinking positively and looking forward to the change. 

At the moment I play badminton and football which I really enjoy so it would be nice to possibly keep doing this in China. One question, I’m about an L/XL in clothing size. Should I buy a new wardrobe here in UK before I come out as I think the Chinese market is generally a lot smaller than me. Feel free to say hello :)

• Like 1

hope someone pick up you from the airport

if not,I know some cars can run between Hangzhou and Pudong airport everyday.

RMB 600(less than 100 Dollars)each car for the 200km,about 2.5 hours trip 

I work as a International sales when we go to other countries we always go by their cars, fast and safe

contact me if you want

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 6:13 PM, Bette said:

hope someone pick up you from the airport

if not,I know some cars can run between Hangzhou and Pudong airport everyday.

RMB 600(less than 100 Dollars)each car for the 200km,about 2.5 hours trip 

I work as a International sales when we go to other countries we always go by their cars, fast and safe

contact me if you want

Just chiming in to say 600 is quite a lot for that trip, I assume it relies on newbies not knowing. 350 at most, likely less. 

46 minutes ago, Lilyana said:

Just chiming in to say 600 is quite a lot for that trip, I assume it relies on newbies not knowing. 350 at most, likely less. 

600 is one car  

you can have 1-3 passengers together share the cost

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bette said:

600 is one car  

you can have 1-3 passengers together share the cost

Well, 3 people sharing makes more sense but still, could be cheaper through didi. And if its one passenger, no need to book that said car for 600 when it could be 300. Passenger needs a working didi account for that tho, people that just landed may not have it set up yet. 

On 4/13/2018 at 12:02 AM, TheSpilster said:

Hey everyone. Introducing myself here. Im Rob, 26, will be moving to Hángzhōu at the end of July to start a new job teaching at a new school. Looking forward to exploring everything on offer. Moving across the world is really taking me out of my comfort zone but thinking positively and looking forward to the change. 

At the moment I play badminton and football which I really enjoy so it would be nice to possibly keep doing this in China. One question, I’m about an L/XL in clothing size. Should I buy a new wardrobe here in UK before I come out as I think the Chinese market is generally a lot smaller than me. Feel free to say hello :)

Hey Rob, good on you for taking a step out of your comfort zone and into China. I did that for the first time 5 years ago and it was the best experience of my life. Can be a little stressful in the beginning, but make sure you utilise whatever resources you can to help you in the beginning until you learn a little Mandarin. With regards to clothing. I'd definitely say bring what you can. But there are always international options in hangzhou like H&M that generally stock larger sizes. Thats where I used to shop a lot. But more important than clothes, if you have average to large feet, chances are they won't have much here in your size. I would recommend bringing more shoes than clothes. Hope that helps.

Fara

• Like 1

Hello.

First, if you are from the UK and coming in late July, prepare for some heat. It is hotter than hell here and you should be prepared for that.

Concerning clothing, I am an overweight man and I would recommend going clothes shopping before coming here, as there is only one chain of stores which sells clothes my size. Chinese men also dress like faggots so you really don't want much of the fashion here. Also, shoes are difficult to find. Again the effeminate men here have little girl feet. I wear a 44 and there is only one store called Decathalon that sells shoes to fit me, bought a pair the other week.

Hope to be a help.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr. Zheng said:

Hello.

First, if you are from the UK and coming in late July, prepare for some heat. It is hotter than hell here and you should be prepared for that.

Concerning clothing, I am an overweight man and I would recommend going clothes shopping before coming here, as there is only one chain of stores which sells clothes my size. Chinese men also dress like faggots so you really don't want much of the fashion here. Also, shoes are difficult to find. Again the effeminate men here have little girl feet. I wear a 44 and there is only one store called Decathalon that sells shoes to fit me, bought a pair the other week.

Hope to be a help.

I never had any problems buying size 44. In hz. All Nike stores and even my favorite hz sneakers store always had my size man.. For jeans just go to the Armani store, they have size for foreigners too. 

On 7/1/2018 at 6:02 PM, Lilyana said:

Well, 3 people sharing makes more sense but still, could be cheaper through didi. And if its one passenger, no need to book that said car for 600 when it could be 300. Passenger needs a working didi account for that tho, people that just landed may not have it set up yet. 

We are getting picked up as there is a bunch of us coming on the same flight. Thanks for the heads up! 

On 7/8/2018 at 1:26 PM, Fara said:

Hey Rob, good on you for taking a step out of your comfort zone and into China. I did that for the first time 5 years ago and it was the best experience of my life. Can be a little stressful in the beginning, but make sure you utilise whatever resources you can to help you in the beginning until you learn a little Mandarin. With regards to clothing. I'd definitely say bring what you can. But there are always international options in hangzhou like H&M that generally stock larger sizes. Thats where I used to shop a lot. But more important than clothes, if you have average to large feet, chances are they won't have much here in your size. I would recommend bringing more shoes than clothes. Hope that helps.

Fara

Thanks! I read this and went and bought som extra pairs! 

22 hours ago, Mr. Zheng said:

Hello.

Hope to be a help.

Hahaha thanks! I went and bought some extras when I read this! 

On 7/14/2018 at 6:12 PM, Mr. Zheng said:

Hello.

Hope to be a help.

Wearing 44 too, but never having problem to buy shoes. A lot of my friends wearing 43 44 ever 45 sizes shoes here. ^_^. Regarding the clothes, you can find XXXL in most clothes shops, if you really need oversize clothes, please try Taobao, may be I can help on this, because my friend are running a oversize clothes Taobao store. And.......YES......really HOT here! 

5 minutes ago, Amelia Vixen said:

That's great! Next is the internet and you can get settled haha

Haha I have it in my hotel so it's all good. Moving to serviced apartments in December too. Just put money on my Wechat so I'm set to go haha. I'll know where to come if I get stuck!