Hangzhou Expat
andrewgaijin

Q1 Visa & Social Security

Question

I'll be cancelling my Z visa and changing to a Q1 in the next few months. Does anyone know how this will affected my access to medical care, etc? I'm assuming I'll need to take out some form of private insurance - does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

5 answers to this question

On 4/27/2018 at 4:30 PM, andrewgaijin said:

I'll be cancelling my Z visa and changing to a Q1 in the next few months. Does anyone know how this will affected my access to medical care, etc? I'm assuming I'll need to take out some form of private insurance - does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

There isn't really a Q1 visa. The Q1 visa is just a 30 day visa to get into China. Within the 30 days you just get your medical check up, and you get your residence permit. Once that residence permit is almost up, you just do your medical check up again and get your residence permit again. No need for medical insurance or any of that other stuff. 

On 4/30/2018 at 4:54 PM, BluePasta said:

No need for medical insurance or any of that other stuff. 

There’s no legal need for medical insurance but you’ve got to balance the risks of having a serious medical condition & having to pay for it yourself. 

Small example, & not that expensive, but I’ve just had cataract surgery in one eye. It was needed as that eye was blurred & was affecting my daily life. Total cost was 10,000 RMB (cheap by Western standards). It was covered by my insurance. 

Get in a serious accident that requires major surgery & hospitalization? How much will that cost you? 

6 hours ago, hotwater said:

There’s no legal need for medical insurance but you’ve got to balance the risks of having a serious medical condition & having to pay for it yourself. 

Small example, & not that expensive, but I’ve just had cataract surgery in one eye. It was needed as that eye was blurred & was affecting my daily life. Total cost was 10,000 RMB (cheap by Western standards). It was covered by my insurance. 

Get in a serious accident that requires major surgery & hospitalization? How much will that cost you?

You can come up with a shit ton of theoretical bullshit but hes referring to the NEED for medical insurance FOR his visa. You need to have it for work visa I believe but not for the visa that comes after the Q1. 

I have insurance, my wife works for Metlife, but he doesnt need it to fulfill the visa requirements  

Stay on point dude. 

Seems your reading comprehension isn’t very good mate...

OP states “Does anyone know how this will affected my access to medical care, etc? I'm assuming I'll need to take out some form of private insurance -does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!”

so giving up god Z-visa affecting medical care? Strongly suggests he loses his employer sponsored medical insurance which is why he assumes he’ll have to take out some form of private insurance. 

You see medical insurance isn’t needed to get a z-visa bid employers are supposed to provide if.