Hangzhou Expat
Cari

Teacher from Wales moving in August

Hello,

I am a PE teacher from Wales moving to Hangzhou to teach in the new King’s college international school. My wechat is: CariLloyd, I am looking forward to meeting new people and exploring the culture, and community events. Any tips and advice would be appreciated!

I look forward to hearing from you 

Many thanks,

Cari

Hi Cari!

I think we might be working together next year! I just accepted an offer for the 5/6 position at King's College. Do you have any idea where the school actually is! I'm trying to apartment hunt! We have to get together and find a time to chat and compare notes!

Warmly,

Brittany

Hi! So glad to finally find someone else going to the same school. No idea its currently still being built in the Yuhang district near the lake? 

I still need to sort out visa etc.. But keen to look for apartments also, or take the ones the school give us. 

Yes should definately meet up/organise something fun, can't wait! 

Message me, My number is [please send me private message for my contact information]

Yeah I've done nothing! I've never done this before! If they have apartments for us I'll probably just take that and then find something later on once I have a better sense of the city. I'll get on wechat when I get home from work! So excited!

Oh nice, Do you know which district you are?

Yes! trying to know the basics before I arrive, but the characters are proving difficult to remember hahaa

On 6/5/2018 at 5:07 AM, sbrittm said:

Yeah I've done nothing! I've never done this before! If they have apartments for us I'll probably just take that and then find something later on once I have a better sense of the city. I'll get on wechat when I get home from work! So excited!

Be careful - schools sign long-term rental agreements. They might ask you to cover the costs if you move out or to find someone to take your place...

I am so going to need a Mandarin tutor! I downloaded Rosetta Stone and that's about it! Has anyone figured out good neighborhoods to live in? I pretty quickly located all the expat bars! 

IMG_2867.JPG

19 hours ago, Cari said:

Yes, where are you from? 

Hey girl! Did the school ask for a scanned copy of your passport? It's this normal? Does anyone know? I am SO afraid of getting scammed! 

On 6/9/2018 at 11:32 PM, Hungry_Hippo said:

Be careful - schools sign long-term rental agreements. They might ask you to cover the costs if you move out or to find someone to take your place...

My school has asked for the following:

Authentication and/or Notary for:

Bachelors

Masters

Teaching Certificates

Criminal History

My passport is still being processed. This will be my first time out of the United States. 

Once all of that has been handled, it’s time to apply for Visa. I am buying my airline ticket on June 30th...

I'm Bette, very happy to see you foreigner teachers to Hangzhou to make our children get better International Education.

i hope the school will have some staff pick you up from airport .

if not,I know some cars can run between Hangzhou and Pudong airport everyday. (we have Hangzhou Xiaoshan international airport but not much freights from U.K. and US, you can book ticket to Shanghai Pudong airport which is a bigger International airport and nearest to Hangzhou)

the car is RMB 600 each car for about 200km,about 2.5 hours trip ,will wait you just at the exit of airport ,  if take taxi will have more than double price.

And my advise is no need to take too much languages with you, you can by everything from Hangzhou, except the fish in "fish and chips" but has many delicious Chinese food.

I work as a International sales when we go to other countries we always go by their cars, fast and safe

contact me if you want

Bette