Jump to content
Hangzhou Expat
  • 0
卢漫修

Why can't foreigners be the registered owner of a motorbike?

Question

I have a motorbike, I bought it from a foreign friend. The motorbike has a Hangzhou licence plate, is insured and has a year inspection pass.

I have it for riding in legal areas such as Yuhang, Liangzhu and Linan.

So why can I not 过户 (change the official owner of the bike to myself)? I just keep being told "You can't do it you're a foreigner, foreigners can't own motorbikes".

When I point out that the owner of the bike is currently a foreigner they say "It was ok last year, but you can't do it now, new law".

So my question is just why? I don't think Hangzhou had an epidemic of foreign motorcyclists previously. Why create this big "f*ck you" law against foreigners?

It puts you in an awkward position, most of my foreign friends register their motorbikes under their girlfriends name. Meaning since they are legally the owner they could just report it stolen or sell it if you break up. If you don't have a Chinese gf that can help the only other way of doing it is to buy a new bike and the owner of the bike shop will register the bike in his name. Meaning you gotta trust the owner of your local bike shop hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
22 hours ago, 卢漫修 said:

I have a motorbike, I bought it from a foreign friend. The motorbike has a Hangzhou licence plate, is insured and has a year inspection pass.

I have it for riding in legal areas such as Yuhang, Liangzhu and Linan.

So why can I not 过户 (change the official owner of the bike to myself)? I just keep being told "You can't do it you're a foreigner, foreigners can't own motorbikes".

When I point out that the owner of the bike is currently a foreigner they say "It was ok last year, but you can't do it now, new law".

So my question is just why? I don't think Hangzhou had an epidemic of foreign motorcyclists previously. Why create this big "f*ck you" law against foreigners?

It puts you in an awkward position, most of my foreign friends register their motorbikes under their girlfriends name. Meaning since they are legally the owner they could just report it stolen or sell it if you break up. If you don't have a Chinese gf that can help the only other way of doing it is to buy a new bike and the owner of the bike shop will register the bike in his name. Meaning you gotta trust the owner of your local bike shop hard.

"You can't do it you're a foreigner, foreigners can't own motorbikes".---Told by whom?  I've  just checked the internet and found nothing relevant to this theory .nor any related laws. 

IF it's not the official answer.i suggest u directly go to the Vehicle management office where the icence is released  to ask for info.(Don't forget your  residence permit.As far as i know.Changing the official owner of motorbike is gonna need it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 minutes ago, CHARLESALPHA said:

"You can't do it you're a foreigner, foreigners can't own motorbikes".---Told by whom?  I've  just checked the internet and found nothing relevant to this theory .nor any related laws. 

IF it's not the official answer.i suggest u directly go to the Vehicle management office where the icence is released  to ask for info.(Don't forget your  residence permit.As far as i know.Changing the official owner of motorbike is gonna need it)

You need the help of a bike shop to do the 过户 (because of the Hangzhou restrictions) and you pay them about 1000rmb. I've asked 3 so far and they've all told me I can't do it because I'm a foreigner. They acknowledge that they could do it last year so they don't seem to be giving me just a "foreigners can't" knee jerk reaction. They say the law changed this year. 

They're only willing to help me transfer the ownership to a Chinese friend, or if I buy a new bike they will register it under their bosses name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
51 minutes ago, CHARLESALPHA said:

"You can't do it you're a foreigner, foreigners can't own motorbikes".---Told by whom?  I've  just checked the internet and found nothing relevant to this theory .nor any related laws. 

IF it's not the official answer.i suggest u directly go to the Vehicle management office where the icence is released  to ask for info.(Don't forget your  residence permit.As far as i know.Changing the official owner of motorbike is gonna need it)

It's a known fact that foreigners were not able to get a license. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, 卢漫修 said:

You need the help of a bike shop to do the 过户 (because of the Hangzhou restrictions) and you pay them about 1000rmb. I've asked 3 so far and they've all told me I can't do it because I'm a foreigner. They acknowledge that they could do it last year so they don't seem to be giving me just a "foreigners can't" knee jerk reaction. They say the law changed this year. 

They're only willing to help me transfer the ownership to a Chinese friend, or if I buy a new bike they will register it under their bosses name.

Well,Asking the help of a bike shop may be an effient way to do the 过户,but definetly not the only way .  I  just found a post talking about same issue.They consulted the official Vehicle management office and the answer is "Yes .a foreigner can have the the ownership of a moterbike .but he needs to have the  residence permit(temporary version is fine)".  375338988_QQ20181122125444.png.55afc8eca623e99fc25ade4c5566d886.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 minutes ago, san5324 said:

It's a known fact that foreigners were not able to get a license. 

 if the fact is not told by offcial. it might not be the truth? At least the bike shops've been dishonest with the price of 过户. The official price is 150 yuan tops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, CHARLESALPHA said:

 if the fact is not told by offcial. it might not be the truth? At least the bike shops've been dishonest with the price of 过户. The official price is 150 yuan tops.

I have lived in hz for 9 years, when I arrived people drove their gasoline scooters everywhere but after a few years that all changed.. Hell even ALL ebikes were banned before that but that was changed real quick.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 minutes ago, san5324 said:

I have lived in hz for 9 years, when I arrived people drove their gasoline scooters everywhere but after a few years that all changed.. Hell even ALL ebikes were banned before that but that was changed real quick.. 

I've still got  the impression of those years ;) scooters running all over the city and resulted in lots of accident. or at least they were believed to be the main cause under many occasions . That's why scooters got banned.but they can't never ban ebikes thoroughly .there're just too many users and the public anger can be fatal...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, CHARLESALPHA said:

 if the fact is not told by offcial. it might not be the truth? At least the bike shops've been dishonest with the price of 过户. The official price is 150 yuan tops.

I'll try at the official office, since the bike is registered in 临安 I guess I'll have to go to that one.

 

The official price is 150 but the rest of the price is facilitation and 关系 money. Even Chinese people pay for these services from bike shops because it's supposed to be impossible to do anything bike related in Hangzhou unless you have 关系 which the bike shops have.

 

I'll try speaking to the office myself but I expect a 没办法

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, 卢漫修 said:

I'll try at the official office, since the bike is registered in 临安 I guess I'll have to go to that one.

 

The official price is 150 but the rest of the price is facilitation and 关系 money. Even Chinese people pay for these services from bike shops because it's supposed to be impossible to do anything bike related in Hangzhou unless you have 关系 which the bike shops have.

 

I'll try speaking to the office myself but I expect a 没办法

if it's 临安 registered ,U may call the office in advance .in case u go there in  vain... It's some distance away from Hangzhou downtown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
17 minutes ago, 卢漫修 said:

I'll try at the official office, since the bike is registered in 临安 I guess I'll have to go to that one.

 

The official price is 150 but the rest of the price is facilitation and 关系 money. Even Chinese people pay for these services from bike shops because it's supposed to be impossible to do anything bike related in Hangzhou unless you have 关系 which the bike shops have.

 

I'll try speaking to the office myself but I expect a 没办法

Actually it was originally a  seperated city and wasn't combined into Hangzhou until 2017.

50 kilo meters around i guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
53 minutes ago, CHARLESALPHA said:

I've still got  the impression of those years ;) scooters running all over the city and resulted in lots of accident. or at least they were believed to be the main cause under many occasions . That's why scooters got banned.but they can't never ban ebikes thoroughly .there're just too many users and the public anger can be fatal...

 

They banned ebikes many years ago.. Then they got back from that decision and as a result only ebikes that are LEGAL are the one with peddles so u can ride it as a bike. 

If u don't believe wait till the yearly razzia will start again. U will see police taking ebikes and motorbikes just a month before the Chinese new year... And guess what they sell them back to the stores for a few hundred kuai.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

they'll take ebikes and those shitty gasoline scooters the delivery guys ride. But if your motorbike has a plate and a 行驶证 the worst they can do is fine you 20kuai and put 3 points on your licence if you ride in a restricted zone. Can't just steal your bike.

They've been focusing on motorbikes the last few weeks, so just a warning not to ride in a restricted zone right now lol. The enforced restricted zones are 西湖,下城 and 上城. They allow it in 拱墅,滨江 and 江干,officially unrestricted is 临安,萧山 and 余杭

 

When I first came to Hangzhou I didn't see any motorbikes but they seem to be getting popular recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, 卢漫修 said:

they'll take ebikes and those shitty gasoline scooters the delivery guys ride. But if your motorbike has a plate and a 行驶证 the worst they can do is fine you 20kuai and put 3 points on your licence if you ride in a restricted zone. Can't just steal your bike.

They've been focusing on motorbikes the last few weeks, so just a warning not to ride in a restricted zone right now lol. The enforced restricted zones are 西湖,下城 and 上城. They allow it in 拱墅,滨江 and 江干,officially unrestricted is 临安,萧山 and 余杭

 

When I first came to Hangzhou I didn't see any motorbikes but they seem to be getting popular recently.

Back then u can't register your motor in Westlake district. U lost it anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 hours ago, san5324 said:

They banned ebikes many years ago.. Then they got back from that decision and as a result only ebikes that are LEGAL are the one with peddles so u can ride it as a bike. 

If u don't believe wait till the yearly razzia will start again. U will see police taking ebikes and motorbikes just a month before the Chinese new year... And guess what they sell them back to the stores for a few hundred kuai.. 

Are U really a foreigner? That's the dark side. LOL. U know too much.The  razzia has always been a camouflage to collect the annual  bonus .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Lots of reasons:

1. You are a foreigner without PR of China, what would happen if you run into some accident and flee like some sh*theads??

2. Motorbike is forbidden in many cities, much more dangerous a source of risk to the society in your case, it's not rare to see some drunk d***heads ride electric bikes around.

So forget about it, and one hint for you--baby walker! Go get one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, CHARLESALPHA said:

Are U really a foreigner? That's the dark side. LOL. U know too much.The  razzia has always been a camouflage to collect the annual  bonus .

Yup I am. I just always have my eyes open and see a lot. No matter where I am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
49 minutes ago, Dan.Tan said:

Lots of reasons:

1. You are a foreigner without PR of China, what would happen if you run into some accident and flee like some sh*theads??

2. Motorbike is forbidden in many cities, much more dangerous a source of risk to the society in your case, it's not rare to see some drunk d***heads ride electric bikes around.

So forget about it, and one hint for you--baby walker! Go get one.

U actually make sense for most part... U forget the billion camera's in China so u can't get away anyway. Or do u also think the camera's believe all foreigners look Alike? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Dan.Tan said:

Lots of reasons:

1. You are a foreigner without PR of China, what would happen if you run into some accident and flee like some sh*theads??

2. Motorbike is forbidden in many cities, much more dangerous a source of risk to the society in your case, it's not rare to see some drunk d***heads ride electric bikes around.

So forget about it, and one hint for you--baby walker! Go get one.

This doesn't actually stop any foreigner riding a motorbike we just register them under our gf or chinese friends name. It's a mild annoyance at best and it's a completely pointless law that we easily bypass completely legally. Seems it's just there to try and f*ck with us.

 

1. That's what insurance is for

2. Are you saying foreigners drink drive more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Foreigners can legally  own motorbikes, simple as that.

The law is stupid in that you can buy one, own one, but you can't ride one in the city. Motorbikes are illegal for both Chinese and foreigners in the city. You can legally ride one in some of the outer districts, XiaoShan for example where motorbikes are not illegal. 

You need to understand something about the Chinese, when they are unsure the automatic answer is No, it's not possible or No, it doesn't exist. They will not say "i don't know let me check on that". They lack that mental ability. Even once at the Exit-Entry Beareu, I went to get my permanent residence and I had a Q1 Visa, the guy told me it was fake as Q1 didn't exist. I argued with him for 10 minutes before he finally agreed to ask someone else. He didn't even feel stupid either. This happens with EVERYTHING.

You will absolutely get 10 different answers from 10 different people in the same office. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 11/23/2018 at 4:11 PM, san5324 said:

U actually make sense for most part... U forget the billion camera's in China so u can't get away anyway. Or do u also think the camera's believe all foreigners look Alike? 

If you are one of the Black Uncles, then out of the question! But you can't say, oh, Black Uncles can't have access to motorbike, it's racist, much worse, COmmunist+racist, your countrymen, especially those eager to show their tits to support "Equity" would bash Chinese 24/7.

 

That's why Apex run the show in Melbourne, guess that's the reason why Dingos are dying out (see the Dingo in this forum).  Thick hair and dark skin do favor you a lot in front of cameras,  you don't buy it?? You can tell black rats sneaking in streets from each other? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 11/22/2018 at 1:23 AM, san5324 said:

They banned ebikes many years ago.. Then they got back from that decision and as a result only ebikes that are LEGAL are the one with peddles so u can ride it as a bike. 

If u don't believe wait till the yearly razzia will start again. U will see police taking ebikes and motorbikes just a month before the Chinese new year... And guess what they sell them back to the stores for a few hundred kuai.. 

Pretty sure they only banned ebikes of a certain speed and/or mass--  it just happens that many of the lighter weight ones have pedals. The fake vespas that were just getting popular at the time were too heavy and fast, though, so lots got confiscated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
57 minutes ago, keaventh said:

Pretty sure they only banned ebikes of a certain speed and/or mass--  it just happens that many of the lighter weight ones have pedals. The fake vespas that were just getting popular at the time were too heavy and fast, though, so lots got confiscated

This was in the 90s. I read about it years ago but can't seem to find it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, Dan.Tan said:

If you are one of the Black Uncles, then out of the question! But you can't say, oh, Black Uncles can't have access to motorbike, it's racist, much worse, COmmunist+racist, your countrymen, especially those eager to show their tits to support "Equity" would bash Chinese 24/7.

 

That's why Apex run the show in Melbourne, guess that's the reason why Dingos are dying out (see the Dingo in this forum).  Thick hair and dark skin do favor you a lot in front of cameras,  you don't buy it?? You can tell black rats sneaking in streets from each other? 

I hdve no clue what u talk about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Posts

    • Job Description as following:  1. Be responsible for teaching English to students aged from 3-12 in an English training school in Hangzhou. The school is at No. 165#, Qiuyue RD, Gongshu District,  
      2. Part-time: evening 4:30-8:30 pm (weekdays) and 9:30 am-6:00 pm (weekend) 
      3. Prepare for the courses before the class. 
      4. Be positive and warm-hearted with vigor and patience, love children and teaching. 
        
      Qualification: 
      1. Native English speaker from USA , UK, Canada,Australia or New Zealand, ect; 
      2. Bachelor’s degree or above, better with majors in Language, education, art or relative field. 
      3. 1 year teaching experience preferably in EFL. TESOL or TEFL certificate is preferred. 
      4. Age required: 20-45 years old. 
        
      Payment: 200-300 RMB per hour; 
      If you are interested in this job, please send me a direct message with your details( wechat account , phone number, picture, e-mail,..)   
    • Hi guys, my name is Michael. I'm in HZ for a few weeks and looking to meet some new friends.  A little about me; I'm originally from the UK but I live in the USA right now and am just finishing my PhD at UC San Diego. Just say hi if you'd like to know more. Take care!
    • Thanks for the info. It’s helpful 
    • Then what do you call MAO Livehouse? They play tonnes of alternative hard rock, metal, post-rock etc. Zhongshan Nan road, in the mall with Loopy.
×