Hangzhou Expat
Mr. Zheng

WHEN ADVERTISING JOBS ON HERE, PLEASE......

Hello,

I am not a moderator, nor do I have any power over these boards.

I do ask, and many others do that when someone posts a job that they provide the following information,

1.) Where is the job.

2.) What level are the students.

3.) How many hours a week do you want that person to work.

4.) What days?

AND.. most important!

5.) How much does the job pay!  Please don't do the "pay will be discussed at interview".

For the Moderators,

Is there anyway possible to seperate the recruiter positions from the local positions? Or at least segment them this way.......

1.) Hangzhou area (HZ, Binjiang, Xiasha)

2.) Zhejiang

3.) Other places in China.

I periodically wade throught the job postings and this would be very convenient.

Thank You.Mr. Zheng2008-12-20 13:07:18

• Upvote 1

I do agree with what Zheng is saying....sometimes its a headache going through all the post just to find that all positions are not even in Hangzhou.Moderators pls help!

I agree that ads which contain all of the above information will have a higher success rate than those lacking the info, but I don't necessarily think that you should go deleting postings. Some recruiters will modify their offer based on who is applying and some posters may just miss the rules thread. Let members decide for themselves whether the post is worthy of their reply.

Having said that, I like the idea of consolidating the contact info for the schools and including some reviews or basic info of each school

......not to mention the responses to horrible job postings are often quite entertaining

This is an old thread, I know, but as a former manager of a very reputable English school in China, I agree and disagree with some the job posting requirements that have been demanded from our users here. I will be re-writing the rules for this forum shortly to make clear to both employers and job-seekers what is to be expected of our FREE job ads.

A kind piece of career advice, though, to any and all TEFL educators and employers out there, especially for newbies. This coming from someone who's worked in the Chinese TEFL industry since 2004, and just about every major private language institution in Hangzhou:

Although many job-seekers may think having salaries publicly posted is useful for them in filtering out which jobs they would and wouldn't apply for, it may not be in the employer's best interest to do so, depending on how they value their own company, and depending on how much of that self-value they wish to impress upon potential applicants.

When I was hiring for English teachers, both foreign and local, not only would I not publicly post the salary, I wouldn't even bother to consider interviewing somebody that judged an employer based solely on monthly and/or hourly salary. Because that would tell me that this applicant has no other interest in working for me other than money, is likely not interested in career or teaching development, and would likely jump ship the minute he/she found a better-paying position.

In fact, in my experience, most applicants who have fallen into this category, more often than not, fail to demonstrate solid TEFL teaching skills during demo classes, and fail to demonstrate reliability as employees.

Now, I'm not saying that this applies to everyone who asks salary right off the bat. But just think, would you ever dare doing that when applying for a job back at home, wherever that may be? Why would it be any different here? Food for thought.

Now, I'm not saying that this applies to everyone who asks salary right off the bat. But just think, would you ever dare doing that when applying for a job back at home, wherever that may be? Why would it be any different here? Food for thought.

Absolutely right. Back home, many employers do not post salary. One obvious reason is that if by chance the BEST candidate is already earning the same amount, they will not apply. If they apply or enquire, a final salary can be negotiated. It's no different here. Demanding ALL information to be posted here is just to facilitate laziness. If you are really interested in a position, get off the arse and enquire.

• Upvote 1

I'm with HZAdam, the reactions to bad posts are fun to read... and you guys shouldn't go around deleting stuff. That's always been one of the biggest drawbacks of hzexpat. Lots of deletions, no explanations.

You're right on it mate. :rolleyes: :clap: :clap:

Absolutely right. Back home, many employers do not post salary. One obvious reason is that if by chance the BEST candidate is already earning the same amount, they will not apply. If they apply or enquire, a final salary can be negotiated. It's no different here. Demanding ALL information to be posted here is just to facilitate laziness. If you are really interested in a position, get off the arse and enquire.

Not that I support the one message job advertisers, but removing their contact information in the post will just annul the chances of someone actually applying for a job. Many of them post their ad and never come back. Chinese don't use forums that much anyways. What is the point of having the job vacancy sub forum if one can't make a contact with the employer?

I agree it is not convenient for many visitors, but I have my reasons

1. My job is to encourage more people to make our online community better (with more activities on the forum), "private message " means he/she should be our member first. for guest, it means we may have 1 more member. I prefer to serve the members more than guest and the forum get the chance to have activity.

2. We have notification email, if you get a private message, you should receive email. so it is not a problem to contact the employer.
and my suggestion is to connect the email with SMS notification, I myself set my Gmail to automatically forward all the email to my 139 mail box, as a China Mobile user, I will get free SMS when I get a new email.

3. For employers, most job website charge a fee to let employees to post, but we provide free service. I don't want to encourage people to post in various websites and never come back to check.

4. The email address may be automatically collected by email collector and get spam messages.

I agree it is not convenient for many visitors, but I have my reasons

1. My job is to encourage more people to make our online community better (with more activities on the forum), "private message " means he/she should be our member first. for guest, it means we may have 1 more member. I prefer to serve the members more than guest and the forum get the chance to have activity.

2. We have notification email, if you get a private message, you should receive email. so it is not a problem to contact the employer.
and my suggestion is to connect the email with SMS notification, I myself set my Gmail to automatically forward all the email to my 139 mail box, as a China Mobile user, I will get free SMS when I get a new email.

3. For employers, most job website charge a fee to let employees to post, but we provide free service. I don't want to encourage people to post in various websites and never come back to check.

4. The email address may be automatically collected by email collector and get spam messages.

​Jake, For new users here who don't know the Forum, how and where the can they find the PM or Private Message button? It is not clear nor obvious where it is and users may have no idea they can click on the name and find it. (Let's face it, there have been heaps of no brainers come on here in recent months) 

ALSO, you can't call it PM in one place, Private Message in another, and just message in another. The name needs to be the same, no matter where they look.

Also, the PM/Private Message/Message button needs to be relocated next to the Posters' name ON THE MAN POST, so that people can understand where it is, and what the message that you have added means.

Cheers

​Jake, For new users here who don't know the Forum, how and where the can they find the PM or Private Message button? It is not clear nor obvious where it is and users may have no idea they can click on the name and find it. (Let's face it, there have been heaps of no brainers come on here in recent months) 

ALSO, you can't call it PM in one place, Private Message in another, and just message in another. The name needs to be the same, no matter where they look.

Also, the PM/Private Message/Message button needs to be relocated next to the Posters' name ON THE MAN POST, so that people can understand where it is, and what the message that you have added means.

Cheers

​Thanks, my dear uncle, will try to improve the user experience.

I need a foreign teacher who is from UK USA CANADA OR AUSTRALIA. Kids are ranging from 3-12 years old. Working hours should be around 5-10 hours per week. Average payment per hour is around 150 RMB if he is offered with our job. Minor change may be there as for the payment and working hours based on his working experience and contribution. Thanks.

I mean it is annoying .. I like Daves ESL, but i posted my resume on EChinaCities and a bunch of recruiters were adding me on weChat that I didn't know.  Why can't the schools just post positions themselves if the offer is decent.  I want expected pay, LOCATION, and working hours. 

Recruiters will never let you see the location or school because it is their business. 

If you live in China they won't tell you where you are going and let you meet the boss.  I wish there was some type of contract for recruiters to let you meet the boss you will be working for and promise not to make a deal behind their back.  One can hope.